koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Please read this post first entirely before responding.....​

I've recently become quite enamored with the genus previously known as Vieja. This is in no small part thanx to Aquamojo and his stunning specimens and very skilled photography skills. The beauty of the genus which was captured in his photo's sparked my interest in this genus. I tried doing some research here on MFK as well as google and found info on certain fish in the genus hard to obtain. Some of this was caused by the different scientific names the species in the genus have been classified under, as it's changed quite a few times. For instance Vieja Zonatus has also been called Paratheraps Zonatus, Theraps Zonata, Cichlasoma Zonatum and most recently Paraneetroplus Zonatum and a google search will yield different amounts of info depending on the name you search. Also many vendors, LFS's and distributors will often use different scientific names to describe their stock which can cause confusion to a buyer whose unfamiliar with this genus. So the same fish may be called a Vieja by one vendor and a Theraps by another. So someone inexperienced may not realize both vendors are selling the same fish, they're just using different nomenclature's. The intention behind me writing this thread is to help newcomer's interested in the genus with some basic knowledge regarding basic husbandry of the genus. It's also to help retard any confusion regarding the prolific amount of synonyms for the various ex-Vieja's. This way when you look at a stock list no matter which nomenclature the vendor is using you'll know exactly what they're talking about. Let me also explain in advance the reason I used ex-Vieja as the title, it's because I believe it's the nomenclature most aquarist's presently associate with these species. I plan on writing a quick general profile for each fish starting with my favorite the Zonatum. I'll add new profile's when ever I get a chance it might not be everyday, but I'll get it done.

Note:

For the sake of the fluidity of the thread and to make it easy to follow please hold any comments till after I finish the profiles. Also if you see anything you think is wrong or missing please pm me and I'll see about asking a mod to help me edit the profile. I'd also like to thank in advance Aquamojo for the use of his stunning photo's and help with some of the info in this thread. I'd also like to give prop's to cichlid2006 who posted a awesome link to an article regarding the present classification of the genus previously referred to as Vieja in my first thread where I attempted to do this. Anyone else who helps will also be mentioned in my last post in this thread so you can get the props you will rightfully deserve.:D

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
VIEJA ZONATUS​

Synonyms:Theraps Zonatum, Paratheraps Zonatus, Cichlasoma Zonatum
Common Names: Mojarra, Oaxaca

Size: 12 inches
Temperature:77-81F
Diet:Omnivore
Temperament:Peaceful
Conspecific: Highly Aggressive
PH: 7.0-7.6
Hardness: 10-15dGH

Notes:

While temperament can vary highly from individual to individual as well as be affected by environment, there are certain general behavior characteristics that the vast majority of individuals will fall under. In general Zonatus are highly aggressive with conspecific's even attacking larger fish that enter into their perceived territory. It's also not uncommon for Zonatus to consider the whole tank their territory. Being highly aggressive toward conspecific's if you attempt a community with conspecifics great care must be taken. Use as large a tank as possible, supply ample hiding spaces, use decor to try to establish defined territories and observe carefully to insure one doesn't kill the other. Aggression is also seen during spawning between the male and female and caution is also suggested here. The male may kill the female as well as other tankmates during this time as aggression levels run very high during spawning. A good ratio to attempt breeding would be 1 male to 3-4 females. The females will establish a heirarchy and the male will usually choose the highest ranking female to attempt breeding with. Though his focus will be primarily on the dominant female, he still will attack and chase the lower ranking females from time to time. This will help dilute the aggression as it's spread between all of the females helping to insure a successful spawning as well as survival of the females. I always suggest having a spare tank that's free of conspecifics on hand just in case aggression becomes life threatening. In general the Zonatus is fairly peaceful with non-conspecifics when not spawning so a spare tank with appropiate sized occupants can come in quite handy. It's better to be safe than sorry. As for gender differences males are generally larger, thicker and deeper bodied than females. Dominant males will also develope a cranial hump and more pointed fins while a females will be rounded. Aquamojo also suggested some juvenile pics since this is how most aquarist will see them and purchase them. The following pics are of a 3 inch individual and 6 inch individual.

3 inches

6 inches​

Adult​

Aquamojo and his Zonatus

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
VIEJA HARTWEGI​
9 inches​

Synonyms: Cichlasoma Hartwegi, Paratheraps Hartwegi, Theraps Hartwegi
Common Name: Tailbar Cichlid​

Size:12 inches
Temperature:77-81 F
Diet: Omnivore
Temperament: Midly Aggressive
Conspecific: Aggressive
PH:7.0-7.6
Hardness:10-15 dGH

Notes:​

Hartwegi are more aggressive toward non-conspecific tankmates than some other Vieja's like Synspila and Regani. Though in my experience not too a dangerous degree, but a nervous fish such as my Armatus can injure themselves trying to get away from them when they give chase. Other than that I've yet to have the Hartwegi actually damage any of his tankmates himself. It's best to mix them with other large cichlids capable of taking care of themselves. Like most Vieja's conspecific aggression generally runs high and care should be taken when mixing them with other Vieja's. Make sure to have an appropiate sized tank if you wish to keep conspecific's together as well as plentiful hide's in the tank as well as a spare tank just in case things get out of hand. Hartwegi's can also become hyper aggressive during spawning and if you have a pair be prepared to move them or their tankmates conspecific or otherwise. Aggression between males and females is typically cichlid like and care must be taken that the male doesn't kill her while courting. Though possible with a single pair, one female to one male I still suggest other females to help disperse male aggression. It's the best way to insure successful spawnings and female survival. Males typically are larger and more robust than females though the size difference isn't as great as in other Vieja's. A dominant male will develop a nuchal hump and generally has more red spangling through out the body than females. At this time I'm finding it basically impossible to find a definite adult Hartwegi photo through google. I've seen several photo's marked Hatwegi and they also show up when I search Zonatus and Guttulatum. The pics look Guttulatum so I'll stick with my own specimen for reference. I will update with adult photo's if they become available to me or of my own as he reaches maturity until then here's an example of one at the 9 inch mark.

Sin77

Feeder Fish
May 16, 2011
Mandurah, Perth, wa
hi:) i was hoping you could help me. we have this good looking fish and im sure he looks like a vieja zonata. we are new to the fish world and we fell in love with this fish so we had to have him/her. we brought 850lt tank for this fish. we have other cichlids in a larger tank that we got before this one. it has taken me a long time to find what he might be. i would love to show a photo of hi,/her but not sure how to do this as im new to this site and hope that some one would help me find out what i have. this fish has one my heart and i would love to get to know him/her as this fish has so much personality

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
Why do some of you start a cool thread that will help out several in the hobby, AND THEN JUST STOP?!!!! :irked: This is ridiculous.

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
Nice start bro, these guys have encapsulated all my interested as well! For those of you who are wanting some of these gorgous guys Dan as www.Cichlidsoftheamericas.com has almost all of these guys and some at good sizes and prices are better then you will find at any other vendors! Hit him up or you will be sorry! :)

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
Unfortunately it started a year ago and died.

And Gage at Cichlid Connection has them all also. Prices are pretty good too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store