Vitamins?

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
Are vitamins neccessary if you are feeding your fish a balanced diet? If so, what are the best brands for freshwater? Should you put them on/in a food item, add them directly to the water, or both?

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
I think if you have a varied diet vitamins arent necissary. Id only use vitamins if you are raising fry or trying to grow out fish very very fast.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
What do you think about using them like a medicine? One of the reasons I considered using them was to aid the healing process for nipped fins in a school of young aggressive fish. I was thinking about using them until the fins are healed and then discontinuing use if all else is good.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
lujor;883478; said:
What do you think about using them like a medicine? One of the reasons I considered using them was to aid the healing process for nipped fins in a school of young aggressive fish. I was thinking about using them until the fins are healed and then discontinuing use if all else is good.
vitamins will not help with nipped fin, that will heal on its own, you are confusing that with fin erosion which has to do with something missing in the diet.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
DeLgAdO;883639; said:
vitamins will not help with nipped fin, that will heal on its own, you are confusing that with fin erosion which has to do with something missing in the diet.
All fish need nutrients to repair damage. If they are malnourished they will heal more slowly. I wanted to use the vitamins to supplement their diets to make sure they had all of the nutritional and biological building blocks necessary to regrow the damaged fins.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
lujor;884343; said:
All fish need nutrients to repair damage. If they are malnourished they will heal more slowly. I wanted to use the vitamins to supplement their diets to make sure they had all of the nutritional and biological building blocks necessary to regrow the damaged fins.
PROTEIN is what is use to repair and replace damaged tissues, not vitamins.

Vitamins are nutrients required in tiny amounts for essential metabolic reactions in the body.

they are both very different.

if fish hare suffering from malnutrition, they are also suffering from insufficient levels of protein, fat and carbohydrates, a suppliment alone may not help, it might be time for a diet overhaul, but if the diet is sufficient a suppliment should always be added, not just to solve a probelm and have it re-appear after you take them off it.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
DeLgAdO;885677; said:
PROTEIN is what is use to repair and replace damaged tissues, not vitamins.

Vitamins are nutrients required in tiny amounts for essential metabolic reactions in the body.

they are both very different.

if fish hare suffering from malnutrition, they are also suffering from insufficient levels of protein, fat and carbohydrates, a suppliment alone may not help, it might be time for a diet overhaul, but if the diet is sufficient a suppliment should always be added, not just to solve a probelm and have it re-appear after you take them off it.
They are different BUT BOTH are necessary for fin regeneration and overall fish health. Vitamins E & C MUST BE PRESENT to "repair and replace damaged tissues." Not only are they required to do what you state is done with just protein, their absence will cause fin degeneration and a general decline in health. The following scientific journal article backs up this info: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/108/7/1137.pdf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store