Northwest
Have you tested your water?
No
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
91-100%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
started in the last 30 days -2nd biggest fish in there - Black Arrow

originally looked like bite mark on tail fin -

treated salt two weeks pass -

now looks like rub / scratch -

seems stressed -

added 3 pleco - 8"/4"/4" and 4 - SD's 2"-4"

only other thing is there are 3-4 cichlid pairs that could breed

thoughts 🤷‍♂️

ty 🙏🏼

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
To me this looks like damage from the decor. That could be from chasing smaller new arrivals, or indeed from trying to avoid breeding cichlids.
From my experience vultures like a flat area to call home and then like to cruise the tank to end up returning to the home spot. If you have dominant cichlids they could take over that home spot?!
Have you changed the decor recently?
whilst a big tank, it does look to have a number of active larger fish, arrowana, flag tail, Oscar, myleus and others, noting that the vulture doesn’t look full grown yet (>2 ft) and still looks relatively young. This could stress him out if your adding to it and he doesn’t see it as big enough.

Reactions: dr exum and kno4te

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Other than self inflicted, like Dave says by trying to get into some tight spots, or by flashing / rubbing off external parasites, or from picking fights with cichlids, I don't have any other thoughts.

All three thoughts seem weak. I don't see any scape in the tank that could do it. I don't think if it was flashing, you'd miss it. The cichlids is the only a tad stronger thought, since the weather has been getting warmer, and they may be preparing for the spawning season and grow more aggressive.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
To me this looks like damage from the decor. That could be from chasing smaller new arrivals, or indeed from trying to avoid breeding cichlids.
From my experience vultures like a flat area to call home and then like to cruise the tank to end up returning to the home spot. If you have dominant cichlids they could take over that home spot?!
Have you changed the decor recently?
whilst a big tank, it does look to have a number of active larger fish, arrowana, flag tail, Oscar, myleus and others, noting that the vulture doesn’t look full grown yet (>2 ft) and still looks relatively young. This could stress him out if your adding to it and he doesn’t see it as big enough.
thanks guys!

decor got changed a bit after recent cleaning,
dave what your describing is spot on, swims for a bit then settles... hes just not settling 🤦🏻

thanks viktor for input! treated with cuppermine for external parasite 🤷‍♂️

l have seen some occasional flashing in my tanks that are hooked up to tap water auto fill -

i dunno, He's one of my favorites, very interactive when i'm in the tank there....

got him in a 150g qt tub at the moment

IMG_4197.jpeg

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
thanks guys!

dave what your describing is spot on, swims for a bit then settles... hes just not settling 🤦🏻

l have seen some occasional flashing in my tanks that are hooked up to tap water auto fill -

i dunno, He's one of my favorites, very interactive when i'm in the tank there....

View attachment 1519803
nice idea treating all at once and that’s a really nice arowna

Reactions: dr exum

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
thanks guys!

View attachment 1519803
Also I noticed some silver dollars in there and they are also fin nippers

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store