w00t! the yarrelli ate!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Turns out that the supposedly bad attitude, mean, aggressive, demonic "Devil Catfish"... is... is... shy?

I tried something I hadn't tried before today, standing back about ten feet whilst he had bloodworms. The worms would drift over by him, but if I was close he would not eat. After I waited a bit, I went back over to the couch and sat down and watched him. He started making jerky movements then settled back down, so I walked back over to the tank and the worms were gone! He's done this three times now, and he's gone from one corner of the tank to the other and he's eaten all of the bloodworms in that area.

Another thing I've noticed about this fish is that it doesn't eat enough to give it's self a belly bulge, it fills it's belly out to level and stops eating. I can kind of understand a rapids-dwelling fish not stuffing it's self, I think. It really makes me feel good that he's eating now.

Oh, since I've moved him to the big tank, two ghost shrimp have disappeared, too. :) (but that could have been the fatass RTC too, but those shrimp have been with the RTC for three months. hmm...)

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
congrats and keep up the great work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tscharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Bowie MD
nice job man, told ya all he needed was some time and space. good luck with him bud

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
tscharf;3512288; said:
nice job man, told ya all he needed was some time and space. good luck with him bud
Thanks!

I really wish I would have measured him when I first got him home. He's clearly grown since I've had him, but I'm not sure how much. It is obvious though. I've started taking weekly measurements of him, his first tape was 3 3/8th inch.

A weird observation: since I've put him in the big tank with the RTC and the pleco, those two avoid him like the plague. It's like they can tell the yarrelli is a killer, and won't go on the same side of the tank as him. Whatever side of the tank the yarrelli is on, you can be sure to find an RTC and a gold nugget pleco sharing a corner on the OTHER side of the tank. It's wierd too because the yarrelli is fairly peaceful, it tries to dogpile with the other two but they want nothing to do with him...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Delhezi B;3512647; said:
:ROFL: I would be afraid for your rtc and plec. Can you see his fangs yet?
actually... yes, yes I can. :ROFL:

I've heard stories about these guys being sociable with enough room and when raised from a very young age with the fish that it will live.

Live and learn. I have a home for the RTC and plec if need be, and I have the capacity to just house them separately if I so choose. I'm worried enough about the RTC and plec that I was sure to make arrangements for everybody before I acquired the yarrelli. :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
machine;3512847; said:
wheres the pics???????????
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275537

Those are the only pics I have, but be warned; they're horrendous. My wife is currently in Florida taking care of some business and unfortunately she took our good camera with her, so I'm stuck with just my cell phone camera. Those pics really do nothing but prove that my fish exist. :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store