Wallago and Wallagonia at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've spent a stupid hour searching for a thread on our Wallagoes but haven't found one. I can't believe I have never started one but it looks that way. They must have fallen through the cracks. Anyhow, I am starting one now. Better late than never.

Our first Wallagonia micropogon (in Naples; had one in Rochester, NY) came mail order from the now retired George Fear and his Shark Aquarium in Aug of 2015 at about 8" and $40. It's most probably a farm cull (I think they all are in our trade) as it misses one pelvic fin and is a slow or small (or both) grower, currently only at 2.5'-3' at about 5 years of age.

They are farmed for food in SE Asia and my belief is that any fish that's sold in our trade and is also farmed for food somewhere around the world (good catfish examples are TSN, RTC, channel, blue, walking catfish, Hemibagrus nemurus, IDS, black ear IDS, paroon shark, etc.) is 99.99% likely a farm cull, an underperformer, refuse, dink, and runt. No need to fish them out of the wild and offer them at a higher cost and price when there are millions available that go toward fertilizer and other industries and a tiny portion toward the ornamental fish trade.

This Wallagonia could be a leerii as I cannot tell them apart and I don't know the location it came from but as said it is most assuredly not from the wild so the location couldn't help anyway.

The fish has always preferred (maybe even taken exclusively) pellets, never taking a thawed fish for me, not that I can remember anyway... which is another pointer toward farmed albeit a mighty weak one at that because most fish adapt of course.

These photos are from March 2016 when it was still in a 240 gal, probably about 1.5'. The fish face-on closeups always remind me of the "Mack The Knife" hit song in Louis Armstrong's rendition "When the shark bites, in the ocean, dear..." for its toothy, extremely wide, truly "ear to ear" "smile". Imagine having all this equipment and only taking pellets... haha... it's like the Pre-Fall animal kingdom, sharks grazing on seaweed and plankton perhaps, lions and lambs grazing on grass and resting together...

Wallago, Bubba 1.JPGWallago, Bubba 2.JPGWallago, Bubba Mar 2016 1.JPGWallago, Bubba Mar 2016 2.JPG

Currently in (the RTC) 4500 gal. It has been there for the last 2-3 years. I honestly expected trouble as it could have been and still can be swallowed whole by the biggest RTCs etc. in that tank but no. It looks like only the pacu may commit an occasional attempt to feed on its fins. The guy itself is pretty mellow, if not timid I'd say, I have never seen it attack any tank mate or witness the consequences of such an attack (should be recognizable), which is also true for the smaller trio of the micropogon described below.

There are three more obtained more recently, mid-2018 or some such, from the Exotic Fish Shop (Steve) at $20 each (sale). These came in smaller, around 5" but now a year later are about 1.5'-2' and reside in the other 4500 gal. Have all fins and grow better (roughly 1.5x-2x faster than the first one) but in all fairness these take fish greedily as well as pellets (less greedily). I don't have good visuals on this trio. They can be seen on our YouTube channel in the videos of the other (non-RTC) 4500 gal... if one was a certifiable maniac and had an hour or two to kill to glean a few rather vague glimpses. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Found a post of mine from Sept 2016. Will just repost because it really belongs in this thread.

Back in 2010-2011, in Rochester, NY, I had my only attu, not for long, from perhaps 4" to perhaps 8". Lost it during a cross country move. Not active, not shy. At around 6"-7", it ate a comparable, a bit smaller wyckii tank mate (had 4 of them in there with the attu), likely after the wyckii died. The wyckii's pectoral spine poked through the attu's tummy and was sticking out entirely. Didn't seem to affect the attu much. Gradually with more feedings the spine got pulled in and the puncture healed quickly.

First leerii I got was about 1'. That was too back in Rochester, around 2009. Grew it up to 2' in a 4000 gal pond. Was very hard to feed. Took fish pieces reluctantly. Lived in a clay pot, never, ever came out (IDK about the nights). Had to shove food into the pot, which was met with a strong blow from the catfish. Died for unknown reason at 2' after ~2 years.

First leerii during a WC and vacuuming in the 4000 gal pond:

Wallagonia, Zubatka 1.JPG

Second leerii I got was about 6" (it is actually the first one I describe in the OP, the one that's 2.5'-3' right now, living in the RTC 4500 gal). Drastically different case. Eats pellets very well, actually prefers pellets very strongly to fish (incidentally similar to wels). Today, ~1 year later, it is ~1.5'+. Not active. Only see it swimming around a bit when I feed. Otherwise, mostly hovers in one spot away from current (hence the name helicopter catfish, I guess).

Second leerii in a 240 gal, 0:10-0:20 and 0.55-1.30 min:

tcomollo

Feeder Fish
Jun 1, 2019
I've spent a stupid hour searching for a thread on our Wallagoes but haven't found one. I can't believe I have never started one but it looks that way. They must have fallen through the cracks. Anyhow, I am starting one now. Better late than never.

Our first Wallagonia micropogon (in Naples; had one in Rochester, NY) came mail order from the now retired George Fear and his Shark Aquarium in Aug of 2015 at about 8" and $40. It's most probably a farm cull (I think they all are in our trade) as it misses one pelvic fin and is a slow or small (or both) grower, currently only at 2.5'-3' at about 5 years of age.

They are farmed for food in SE Asia and my belief is that any fish that's sold in our trade and is also farmed for food somewhere around the world (good catfish examples are TSN, RTC, channel, blue, walking catfish, Hemibagrus nemurus, IDS, black ear IDS, paroon shark, etc.) is 99.99% likely a farm cull, an underperformer, refuse, dink, and runt. No need to fish them out of the wild and offer them at a higher cost and price when there are millions available that go toward fertilizer and other industries and a tiny portion toward the ornamental fish trade.

This Wallagonia could be a leerii as I cannot tell them apart and I don't know the location it came from but as said it is most assuredly not from the wild so the location couldn't help anyway.

The fish has always preferred (maybe even taken exclusively) pellets, never taking a thawed fish for me, not that I can remember anyway... which is another pointer toward farmed albeit a mighty weak one at that because most fish adapt of course.

These photos are from March 2016 when it was still in a 240 gal, probably about 1.5'. The fish face-on closeups always remind me of the "Mack The Knife" hit song in Louis Armstrong's rendition "When the shark bites, in the ocean, dear..." for its toothy, extremely wide, truly "ear to ear" "smile". Imagine having all this equipment and only taking pellets... haha... it's like the Pre-Fall animal kingdom, sharks grazing on seaweed and plankton perhaps, lions and lambs grazing on grass and resting together...

View attachment 1380981View attachment 1380982View attachment 1380983View attachment 1380984

Currently in (the RTC) 4500 gal. It has been there for the last 2-3 years. I honestly expected trouble as it could have been and still can be swallowed whole by the biggest RTCs etc. in that tank but no. It looks like only the pacu may commit an occasional attempt to feed on its fins. The guy itself is pretty mellow, if not timid I'd say, I have never seen it attack any tank mate or witness the consequences of such an attack (should be recognizable), which is also true for the smaller trio of the micropogon described below.

There are three more obtained more recently, mid-2018 or some such, from the Exotic Fish Shop (Steve) at $20 each (sale). These came in smaller, around 5" but now a year later are about 1.5'-2' and reside in the other 4500 gal. Have all fins and grow better (roughly 1.5x-2x faster than the first one) but in all fairness these take fish greedily as well as pellets (less greedily). I don't have good visuals on this trio. They can be seen on our YouTube channel in the videos of the other (non-RTC) 4500 gal... if one was a certifiable maniac and had an hour or two to kill to glean a few rather vague glimpses. :)
Hi Moe,

I was excited to see your post! Do you know anyone in th NJ, NY, PA, CT ish area who would be able to accomodate a 1.5 foot wallagonia micropogon ( im pretty such thats what it is based on pictures online) with a tank similar to what you have yours in? I accidentally came into possession of the fish. I think its a great fish, but I will not be able to accomadate for its increasing size when the fish is older. Expenses of getting the wallagonia to its new home are highly negotiable. Its highly probable I would even deliver the wallagonia or make it avalable for pickup. Please call or text 848.565.8636 if interested. Thanks very much.

Tom

Sorry...forgot the magic word...deliver or make available for pickup for FREE.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi Moe,

I was excited to see your post! Do you know anyone in th NJ, NY, PA, CT ish area who would be able to accomodate a 1.5 foot wallagonia micropogon ( im pretty such thats what it is based on pictures online) with a tank similar to what you have yours in? I accidentally came into possession of the fish. I think its a great fish, but I will not be able to accomadate for its increasing size when the fish is older. Expenses of getting the wallagonia to its new home are highly negotiable. Its highly probable I would even deliver the wallagonia or make it avalable for pickup. Please call or text 848.565.8636 if interested. Thanks very much.

Tom

Sorry...forgot the magic word...deliver or make available for pickup for FREE.
Thank you for your post as well. I think you are writing to me, if so, I am Viktor... and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Maybe F Fiat4 ? In fact there are many people in the NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, etc. area (total population around 90 million) with large tanks. If you don't mind, please, create a thread in the MarketPlace forum here on MFK, and we'll go from there. Certainly Ohio Fish Rescue can take your micropogon but they are in Cleveland and it may take a while until they arrange a pick up.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yearly update.

The three smaller and younger ones from Steve of Exotic Fish Shop have been in the non-RTC 4500 gal for a long time now. Have been doing largely very good except one fasted for several months, looked like it got ill, something internal and latent, but the fish did come back. I thought I was going to lose it. They are roughly 2' now, all three, always hanging in the very center of the tank mid water, waiting for thawed fish to hit the water.

The biggest leerii / micropogon, from George Fear, 2015, in the RTC 4500 gal has notably grown to 3 feet long, still doesn't take fish, only pellets.

Underwater 11:00-12:10 minutes:

Smaller guys 12:50-13:10 min:

Last edited:
Reactions: Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two of the younger ones have been adopted out. One is left in the less aggressive 4500 gal (the older one from George Fear is at 3 feet in the other 4500 gal).

The younger one 8:45-9:10 min:

Reactions: Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The younger helicopter / leerii has grown to 2.5ft and been upgraded to 25K gal. It has been pretty tame in the less aggressive 4500 gal, seemingly on the receiving end of aggressive advances of its tank mates. Often or usually shies away from taking the whole 6"-8" thawed herring but takes cut pieces readily. Strange for a predatory catfish with a mouth to swallow a foot long herring easily.

It appears to have met mister wels in the 25K, judging from its snout / head having been "test-tasted", but no serious damage. I hope it learned its lesson to stay away from the wels catfish, its much larger kin. I also hope it doesn't hunt our smaller inhabitants of the 25K, like smaller koi, tinfoil barbs, bala sharks. So far appears ok but I've not witnessed it feed yet in the 25K.

The older leerii at 3ft still inhabits the other 4500 gal with the jumbos, doing well, eating several herring once a week and some giant NLS pellets.

Last edited:

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Great stuff Victor, the wallago looks impeccable.

It appears to have met mister wels in the 25K, judging from its snout / head having been "test-tasted", but no serious damage. I hope it learned its lesson to stay away from the wels catfish, its much larger kin
I came right over from YouTube to mention this lol, so I'm glad you've got in on your radar. I've heard from many Wels keepers that they are absolutely fine with each other, then from one day to the next (possibly upon reaching sexual maturity) they snap. I would hate for your Wels to have a go at the very similar looking Wallago. But of course you have much more experience in these things than I so I'm sure you have it under control ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store