Watchdog prevents huge disaster

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
The watchdog I'm talking about is my Watchdog Water Alarm. If you have a big tank in your home and don't have a device like this...you're a flood waiting to happen.

First off, everything that's ever gone wrong with my equipment has happened right after a canister cleaning (which I do every 6 months) on my 4 Eheims.

4 hours after my cleaning today I heard a siren from the basement. It was my 150 gallon tank. My eheim 2217 (shares tank with my monster Pro3) was leaking into the aluminum 4 inch deep baking tray it sits in. My watchdog alarm sits in the tray with it.

It appears the water output connection had developed a break and water was pumping out of the top of the canister. I shut it down and tested the connection with my finger and it snapped right off. I've had that canister second hand for about 10 years. I need to replace the entire cover of the filter because it's one piece of molded plastic. Big Al's has it for 19.99...small price to pay.

Here are pictures...if you don't have a water sensor, go to lowes or home depot tomorrow and buy one..put it and your canister in a deep pan. you'll sleep better!

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Wow, what a great idea. You would have had a mess. :headbang2

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009