Water Chemistry/ Chemical Problems

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
So yesterday, I am doing regular tank maintenance and check my 60g with 8 black ghosts and a 14" goldie pleco. The nitrates and nitrites are off the charts. The bgk's are eating, the pleco is picky to start with but everyone looks healthy. I do a 30% water change but use amquel plus to reduce the nitrites and nitrates with the usual novaqua additive and some a little salt. Keep in mind, I generally use Stress zyme as my bacteria additive and not the amquel.
This morning, I checked the tank and all the ghosts have white-film disease, the pleco is ok, and nitrates/ites are still high. I added some rally before I left for left for work and am trying to figure out what happened. I did have a similar case with bgk's getting white film...could it be the amquel plus??? When I go home, I am going to do a 40% water, and add more rally. Temp is 84.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice for this situation???

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Your fish are sick because your water quality is poor. Stress Zyme is a poor product, and you don't need it in a cycled tank. How often are you changing water and what do you have for filtration?

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I do 25% changes every 5-7 days. Filtration is a simple sponge filter, aquaclear 200, and a whisper 3. I just added the ac four days ago just for more turnover, when h2o quality was good....

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Did something die in the tank?

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Nope, nothing has died. I feed frozen bloodworms in the morning, and have a cucumber in there for the pleco. This is a quarantine tank; i received these fish about three weeks ago. The tank was cycled and had 4 small barbs in it for about a week. The only thing I can think of is the amquelplus causing the onset as a result of the poor water chemistry (which is a mystery to me as how that happened!!!) I feel totally screwed here...

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
nitrites need to be zero ....bio filtration
nitrates need to be kept in line with water changes

i would feed less, change more water assuming the tank is fully cycled.....until the nitrires return to zero....

if not fully cycled its a different problem....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store