Water circulation for mbuna and peacocks

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Got a 250g tank with the above fish. I have about 1700 gph running on the tank, but with the rockwork i can imagine debris not getting into the filter intake. Thinking of putting 2 wavemakers at the back pointing downwards. Would too much circulation be bad for the fish ?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I used a wave maker in mine, I had to turn it way down though as they had noticeable changes in behavior (though it was about 5500 gph). They are lake fish so currents aren't really their thing but some flow is good for the overall health of the tank. Just watch your fish when you add them and adjust the amount of flow if needed.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Shoot for 8X to 10X GPH as a total from all devices. Filters and other circulation devices.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I used a wave maker in mine, I had to turn it way down though as they had noticeable changes in behavior (though it was about 5500 gph). They are lake fish so currents aren't really their thing but some flow is good for the overall health of the tank. Just watch your fish when you add them and adjust the amount of flow if needed.
I know you know what you are talking about, stempy, but I have seen videos of the rocks where mbuna live. Malawi is a big lake and they get surf coming over them. I think some mbuna even have underslung mouths so they can swim into the current while eating algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store