Water company added something to the water.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey pops, I wasn’t picking on you. I hope that you didn’t take it that way. It’s not that you got it wrong, obviously in your tanks what you do is working fine. I was simply pointing out that not everyone’s set up is the same, and 02 depletion can sometimes be significant enough to cause death in a fish. Some people simply need to be more careful than others, even with how much water conditioner they are adding.

Impossible to say with any certainty as to what took out the OP's fish, personally I would suspect some form of toxin in the water for the fish to die that quickly.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Agreed, naa I did not think you where picking on me, I meant what I said. Part of the beauty of the site is its self correcting with all the knowledge on board.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
It was a instant affect on the fish. One hung on a for a few they were not in the water long movwd them to another tank as soon as i noticex some wrong which was fast. We held 2 of the fish moving them back in forth in the water like what u do when u release a fish after a long fight when u catch it. Nothing worked second tank had 2 big air stones in it. And the water in tank hadnt been changed it was good water.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as for me I just do not have a answer, Oxygen deprivation posible, tho if moved to well oxygen water should have recovered, chlorine burn pretty nasty, this should have been noticeable to some extent from the gills. PH shock
i know nothing about.

so, no ideal.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Over dosing and having the overdose quickly use up oxygen is a real possibily.
I am an under doser whenever possible, just for this reason.
Overdosing any chemical, no matter how positive it is at the perfect dose is never a good idea.
This is why i suggest using DPD, to test tap water, before a water change.
And with the reading you can then judge dechlorinator dose.
If you know your chlorine/chloramine levels, there is no guessing or overdosing needed.
Using DPD is simple, the more red, the more chlorine in the water.

Even the simple pool testing strips are useful

The strips above can give a general idea of chlorine, chloramine (total chlorine) pH and even a couple others (available at pool or hardware stores.
here is an example of a lack of chlorine using DPD, after a proper dose of dechlorinator chemical is added.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Those are great suggestions. Going to pick up one of those pool test kits. I’ve never bothered to check my water. *knock on wood*
To the OP, sorry about your loss.

I just happened upon this thread. I've seen stories like this before. As someone else posted about in this thread, I too was mistakenly adding extra prime hoping I could counteract some extra addition of chlorine by the water company. I now realize that is just putting my fish at risk of oxygen deprivation.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now ordering this pool testing kit. I found several on Amazon that around $8 for 50 strips. At least I can tell how much Safe to use and I can at least be alerted if PH or Chlorine levels are wacky.

As I was about to post this, I realized that I also do water changes on the QT tank. I guess even though I'm doing every other day on that tank, it's still not that expensive to test the water. I initially just thought about the display tank, but there are $200 worth of fish in the QT tank so I would be wise to test before water changing there as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store