Water death temperature question for trout.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Yup. Pond had good flow, even with freez-over. Outet was minimal. I fear they seeked out more oxygen or warmer area and simply died in the muck, but trout don't do well in muck.
So this one has me stumped. Or as they say skunked.
Its probably too shallow, all fish were 3 to 4 inches long.
The thing that is getting me is WHERE did they go? LOL. I mean not knowing is fine, but I should see a carcass. ANY carcass. So far just one fish alive. IF they managed to get out the outlet or underneath the dam ( dam doesn't leak that i know of ) I'd see the fish. Also same goes for upstream where the most oxygen would have been definitely in early winter and right now they is nowhere to really go up stream, all just swamp ish water, no pond no stream.
THat's why I built a dam so all that water comes down into the raceway drops a foot then all into the pond 30 feet downstream.
Very very odd why I see no dead fish or just one live one. MAYBE I'll get lucky and they ARE in the muck, leaves and will come out once it hits 60F which is what it was they were raised in those temps.
IDK.

Now I'm confused you have swamp water flowing into said pond? That sounds like the issue poor quality water feeding your pond. This is why you don't see trout living and thriving in muddy waters they require highly oxygenated clean cold water.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Now I'm confused you have swamp water flowing into said pond? That sounds like the issue poor quality water feeding your pond. This is why you don't see trout living and thriving in muddy waters they require highly oxygenated clean cold water.
Yes. It used to be a NYS trout water body/pond with stream. Has filled in over the past 100 years. GOod clean, oxygenated water. I've tested it. Its great water. Ph of 8, DO 7 to 8, there is no 'mud' or anythng coming into the pond whatsoever. Nice clean water flow gravel bottom along the stream bottom. It used to be a pond with plentiful trout the old 90 yr old neighbor said. SO I basically RE-dug that "swamp' area out. Nice small stream feeds it. IT is now more of a shallow pond I should have called it. However its never had a 'real' outlet or STREAM outlet, that goes the other direction where the actual stream is.
THe problem was since all the alders and trees,etc. have over come it, has turned "swampy' I guess I should have explained that a bit better.
THe inlet for that area is capable of brook trout reproduction according to our state. But you know how that goes.
But yes, the water was tested,etc. its good nice clean water and is USUALLY running all year.
Last year not so much.
Also I neglected to mention I also have a ram pump with constant feeding to it just in case of a year like last.
I believe its not deep enough is my best guess or they got out somehow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store