Water remineralization

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
This isn't something I've seen discussed around here a ton but there are many of you who keep fish who are used to softer waters.

My local water is very "Hard" PH of 8.4ish with high GH/KH. I forget the numbers offhand.

I'm looking at setting up a dozen tanks for shrimp and plecos that like the 6.5ish PH range so the only way I can reach that is using RO/DI water on top of an PH reducing soil like ADA amazoina or the like.

What I'm trying to sort out is adding minrals back to the RO/DI water. There are lots of comercial applicatiuons for this but they tend to be about $30-50 for a 200g tub. I've found a recipe for a homebrew version that seems super solid and I can make about 20-30x the amount for the same cost. Does anyone have any expericne with water minerals?

Commercial Version

The home brew version is:
Water treatment.jpg

Dose to desired TDS.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
This is what I've always used to remineralize RO water in my planted tank https://www.seachem.com/equilibrium.php

If you go to ingredients, they state the percentage (of 1g powder) that it contains of each element. I would use that as a base, adjust your total amount to 100g and do the math. should be pretty simple then.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Why dont you mix the ro water with the tap water, test a few diffrent % mixes till you find one that gives you the water your after.

Reactions: deeda and SBM

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Why dont you mix the ro water with the tap water, test a few different % mixes till you find one that gives you the water your after.
That could work. Thanks for the idea.

My original thoughts were that my water is very hard, has chlorine/chlormine in it and consistency. I'm looking to start running tanks in the 6.5-7.0 region and that is just something I've never been able to do with my water.

My thoughts were to set up a know size holding tank and run RO/DI water into that than dose it with the mineral supplement before running into my tanks via a drip system.

But trying to sort out where to hide an 80 gallon tank in the room i'm using isn't working well. Then I'd have to worry about sediment buildup in the holding tank.

Obviously still working out all this stuff. Just bouncing ideas off the more experienced folks here.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store