Water softener salt

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Can this water softener salt be used in the aquarium? IMG_0593.JPG
I swear I saw on a forum(here or somewhere else) the it was safe to use, but wanted to check first.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have a whole house water softening system and this is the water I've been using for the last 5 years.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I figured it must be safe. I looked at the label and it's just sodium chloride. No additives.
I'm using up the last of my aquarium salt today and figured if I could use this the same way I use the aquarium salt that I could save myself from buying more and use up this bag eventually. lol When buying salt for our softener we accidentally bought the wrong kind so this has just been sitting around for months.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used it many times when treating for ick, and it is rated pure enough for use as treatment for softening drinking water so......
Just curious though the reasoning for using it.
As an ick treatment?
To add salinity for brackish water fish?
?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Fin rot sadly:(
My female green terror managed to tear her fin a couple weeks ago. It healed up fast enough, but then last night I saw the ends of her pectoral fins don't look normal. The ends of the rays/bones? Are exposed.
Salt is what I have on hand so I'm slowly adding it in after I did a large water change.
The tetras and plecos are fine. I can't tell if my males pectoral fins have it too. He moves too fast. I'll just be devastated if I can't stop it.
This was the best picture I could get. A bit blurry from zooming in. But you can see the ends of her fins don't look like they should.
IMG_0594.PNG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For treatment yes, water softener salt (of any salt) is as good as it gets, very pure NaCl.
You may want to put a few pics up in the disease section (a side view might help).
The term fin rot is a generic term which could be any of many maladies (bacterial, viral, fungal). And a disease expert may help in the right diagnosis and treatment (if there is one).

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thank you duanes duanes . I'll do that. I think she is looking better today, for sure it hasn't gotten worse. So that has me feeling a little better.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store