WC Beani "Panuco" growouts

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
As usual great advice duanes. I like to see big beani & nasties even more try than dovii/umbee because I know the amount of effort it took to get them there.

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
Re-ducklips. I lost 2 male adult Beani to that disease. How do you treat that? Erythromycin works sometimes as did Clout but Clout is no longer being made.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
a lot of great advice here. Beani are found in northern Mexico and haitiensis in Haiti, meaning a big difference in temperature. Keeping the tank highly oxygenated for haitiensis works great because warmer water temperatures decrease oxygen levels. Where as beani need cooler temperatures leaving more oxygen in water. It's not gonna hurt anything to increase oxygen levels, but I doubt that it's a deciding factor with beani. Good luck with your beani!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
a lot of great advice here. Beani are found in northern Mexico and haitiensis in Haiti, meaning a big difference in temperature. Keeping the tank highly oxygenated for haitiensis works great because warmer water temperatures decrease oxygen levels. Where as beani need cooler temperatures leaving more oxygen in water. It's not gonna hurt anything to increase oxygen levels, but I doubt that it's a deciding factor with beani. Good luck with your beani!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks bro.

Reactions: fernie831

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
After a month the largest most dominant one is around 2" and the gold honeycomb pattern is starting to show. I know its probably impossible to sex these guys at this size but I'm guessing that I have 3 males and a female. The smallest of the four also has the darkest pattern and is the most skittish. The other 2 (possible males) still have their juvenile pattern. No ripped fins or serious fighting yet so I guess so far so good.

Most dominant one:
DSC_0143.JPG
DSC_0188.JPG

Possible female:
DSC_0133.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG

Subdominant male:
DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The only thing that kept other fish in the tank from getting it (once the jaw extends, I figure they are goners) is to keep temp in the 70s, thoroughly vac the tank, and pour in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to oxidize and remaining bacteria in the tank.
Re-ducklips. I lost 2 male adult Beani to that disease. How do you treat that? Erythromycin works sometimes as did Clout but Clout is no longer being made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store