Websites for fish collectors, including state-by-state regulations

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Go to where you can get a fishing license and get the little pamphlet about legal game fishing in your area. The book should also list the legalities of seining, netting, spearing, and other types of collection methods. There are a ton more collection methods and they should be part of the pamphlet that you can get at the local game fishing license spot. They will also have a number and/or email address for you to ask specific questions.

Once you get the pamphlet you should find someone that can put it into a PDF. Then you can see about getting it added here to the forum for other Washington residents.

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
I found a few farms in Texas that sell LMB and other natives at unbeleivable low prices. Thing is, they all want you to travel to their farm for pickup, and its by appointment only. They wont waste their time to meet you at their farm to pick up $3 worth of fish, so in essence you cant get one. I did find a place in GA that will ship LMB, Crappie, and some other native gamefish. But the catch....a single 3" LMB = $1.50. Shipping:
$300-$400 dollars. :ROFL:

rcm337

Feeder Fish
Dec 3, 2008
Alaska
State laws can be very tuff about capture, transport, and keeping alive native fish. I live in Alaska, and here it takes a fishing licence to catch the fish - in an approved method, a "Special Use" permit to transport the fish alive, and a second permit to keep the fish in an aquarium. I do have the required permits, and I have a 150 gallon cold saltwater fish tank. Each year I need to get repermited, and I need to file a rediculous report on my collection activities, including all bycatch and release data. In Alaska, NO ONE can have a native tank in their home. The only reason I have one is that I own a store - ie. public venue - where the tank is located, and my permits are issued as "educational" -- each year the local schools come to the store to see the tank. The paper work to keep it legal is a serious PITA, but it is well worth it in the end. As far as I know their is only 7 permit holders in AK, but I could be wrong about that........................

GOOD LUCK! to anyone trying to set up a native tank, it will take some perciverence and determination, but it is well worth it in the end.

WattaMelon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I just got an e-mail back from my local DNR office regarding keeping natives in MN. It's not good.

He said that the only way you can collect fish from the wild (lakes and streams) is if you are under the age of 10 or have a scientific collecting permit which is issued to schools only. Our daughter is under ten, but she's not the one interested in collecting fish from the wild...and I don't know how I'd feel using her as a scapegoat for collecting. It just 'aint right.

To be able to buy and sell in MN, it requires an aquatic farm or private fish hatchery license. The fee for the license is $70 annually for those who want to conduct fish culture for a hobby. Sales under this license are limited to $200 annually. For sales over $200, the license fees are $210 annually. You can purchase fish from other licensees in Minnesota. Out of state purchases require a DNR importation permit which can found here: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/permits/fishery/livefish_transport.pdf

So *shrug*. We used to think you could collect and keep as long as you kept within possession regulations and limits.

Hmm.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Watta, it sounds like your state needs to hear from native fish hobbyists. We all need to make sure our voices are heard, far to many laws are quite arbitrary and do not benefit either the fishes or the hobbyists.

WattaMelon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
By the way, the VMS ban you mentioned in PM Moontanman, I've been meaning to link everyone to some information about that. This is from the Ohio Sea Grant College Program, but it's simplified the ban really well. You'll still want to contact your local DNR representative regarding any other additional state regulations.

http://www.greatlakesbass.com/images/OSG_VHSfactsheet_2-07.pdf

twiisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2009
fife, scotland
i dont keep snake heads but when i contemplated it i thought only sub-tropical SH's needed a permit but they all need permits, that means that those higher up's dont spend enough time deeciding laws, and with the whole HR669 thing... if it happens in america british prime ministers may think that it can happen with a simple signiture sorry to hear Melon :irked: i just generally hate fish haters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store