Weeks of Ich

irishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
New England
Well entering another week of this crap. A friend fed my fish, my favorite who has her own 75 when I was away. he fed her goldfish from Petco, thinking it was fine and she got awful ich. Awful as in she was serioulsy almost all white.
Well I treated it with Ich Clear for the recommended time. She cleared up and looked great, until a week ago. I was doing a water change and in the middle of it noticed Tons of these little guys wriggling thru the tank. In all my years of doing this I have never seen this in my tank, looks like little sperm swimming everywhere in there. Anyways, I am fed up because I was treating with copper for a while, have the temp to 88 and have added salt, but each day I wake up, push the gravel and watch these things go flying thru the tank.

I am thinking of completely emptying the tank tonight, no gravel no nothing, and hoping this treatment will continue to work. Its just very discouraging because I know they should not be surviving, but I see them everyday wiggling into the gravel and swimming. Any suggestions or do I just continue and hope for the best? Thank you

kntrygrl4lyfe

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Pensacola, fl
Those little white worm things are not the ich. My tanks have had them before and they are not harmful. Usually you don't see them in smaller tanks with smaller fish b/c they get eaten, but in a larger tank with larger fish they don't see them. You can changed all your water but they can comeback. From my understanding, it's from over feeding I think. I noticed when I would mess up sand or gravel they would come out.

irishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
New England
If thats true thats crazy. I thought they were the trophone or whatever phase that was of ich. Like I said, Ive had fish for years and never seen these things. Guess Ill have to cut back on the food. Any other opinions?

kntrygrl4lyfe

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Pensacola, fl
Just cut back on food and do more gravel vacs but don't stir it up a lot, like do it lightly so you don't get them going everywhere.

The ones in my tank I never really noticed unless I looked really heard after a catfish stirred the sand up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ich tomites and the like are microscpic, you would not see them. The spot you see on the fish, when it has ich, contains many hundreds, if not thousands. And it usually takes weeks to rid your tank of ich.
The worms you see are probably planeria, to be sure look closely, and if it has a triangular shaped head it is planeria.
Paradise gouramis are known to eat them.

irishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
New England
Weird. Dont know how Ive never had these before. In my salt water tanks Ive had these weird worms, almost like slugs that came out of nowhere when all my levels were exactly perfect and were really cool. I will just have to cut back on the food for her I guess and now not worry so much. Seeing anything foreign in there just freaks me out as Ive really had no sick fish. Thank you both for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store