Weld-on #40 and #42

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Hari Haran Hari Haran I think he is asking about where 2 pieces come together should the inside of each piece have a bevel.

DM M35A2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
NC
Hari Haran Hari Haran I think he is asking about where 2 pieces come together should the inside of each piece have a bevel.
That’s what I mean. Where each panel of acrylic meets the next panel, does it need to be on an angle? Or can I just cut the panels 90 degrees, do my prep work and start seeming.

Reactions: BichirKing

johngarcia61814

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2019
So I am a CNC machinist for a fairly large plastic supplier here in Texas. We do thermoplastic welding and acrylic solvent welding. I have made all sorts of personal projects at my shop and I am now looking at building my first acrylic aquarium! Our lead fabricator has 15 years of acrylic experience but he told me we really have not made many aquariums in the past but he has done a few. I'm thinking of a 48x18x24 inch 90 gallon to start off with made from 5/8 acrylic. We are going to use weld on 4 for the seams then reinforce inner seams with weld on 42. I was just going to buy a tank but that size is pretty pricey and I can do it at work for basically nothing. I was just looking for some feedback on setup/plumbing. Should I build in an overflow? I can build basically anything I want but I have not owned an aquarium for 15 year and it was a very basic setup then. I am looking at a Penn plax cannister filter. Should I just hang the tubes into the tank? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
welcome J johngarcia61814 ! your post would be better off in the https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forums/setup-and-filtration.29/ section where it would get more views and thus replies.

definitely start with the 90g before moving onto larger tanks. I would just hang the tubes of the canister in the tank. but If I had access to acrylic like you I would build a killer sump. if a bigger tank is planned I would turn the 90g into a the sump for it. I prefer the bean animal style overflows on my tanks. you can search that on here and see what its all about.

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
Hey Guys,

Should I be worried if the weld on is starting to turn cloudy on the outsides? I have had the tank filled with water for a week. It's cured for nearly a month.

IMG_7666-1.jpeg

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
Hey Guys,

Should I be worried if the weld on is starting to turn cloudy on the outsides? I have had the tank filled with water for a week. It's cured for nearly a month.

View attachment 1394448
Apologize for tagging you. Just wondering if I have a catastrophe on my hands. B BichirKing

Hari Haran

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Hey Guys,

View attachment 1394448

it should be clear for a perfect weld like towards the bottom of the seam in your picture, there is higher chance you will have a leak sooner or later, you can try pouring #40 on the inner seams which should take care of any leaks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store