Wels catfish, albino, ~10"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Takes a huge piece of mullet but spits out, IDK if it is the size or the novelty or both.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Such a beast! Hope he turns onto the new food for ya. There easily spoiled… Should come around soon for ya. Can’t believe how big and perfect he is lol… stunner for sure…

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Amazing fish for sure; surprising how long he just sat there with it in his mouth. I though that it would just be gone instantly.

Is he possibly getting stressed by all the activity in that tank? Surrounded by one- and two-foot "dithers", constantly swarming around him and mouthing him?

It's funny, but I found it very reminiscent of a boa or python in a cage crawling with a dozen rats. Even if hungry, that snake could easily freak out and just withdraw, rather than picking a target and gulping it down; it's only one of the reasons why most serious keepers won't use live feeders with them.

In your case, the other fish aren't feeders...at least, not intended to be, and not yet :)...but maybe they're just too "dithery" for his comfort?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Several days later, (s)he still refuses so far to take the large mullet pieces. Trying every day. Most days when I tap he comes over and may even take it in the mouth for a second but then drops it.

Such a beast! Hope he turns onto the new food for ya. There easily spoiled… Should come around soon for ya. Can’t believe how big and perfect he is lol… stunner for sure…
Thank you, Russ! You are badly prejudiced of course :)

Amazing fish for sure; surprising how long he just sat there with it in his mouth. I though that it would just be gone instantly.
***Thank you. Usually he swallows quickly indeed. He might not have been hungry enough or he is spoiled enough to not attempt in earnest to swallow it - I imagine the circumference of the mullet's thick end is close to, same, or bigger than his throat. As Wednesday13 reported they can be and often/usually are capricious as a child at dinner time not getting their preferred food.

Is he possibly getting stressed by all the activity in that tank? Surrounded by one- and two-foot "dithers", constantly swarming around him and mouthing him?
***Good eye and analysis. There is usually no one by him during non-feeding times. The only reason those other knuckleheads were bothering him was because they smelled feed in his mouth and wanted to get at it :) Imagine racoons and possums trying to get at a piece of meat in a tiger's mouth, that'd be the same...

It's funny, but I found it very reminiscent of a boa or python in a cage crawling with a dozen rats. Even if hungry, that snake could easily freak out and just withdraw, rather than picking a target and gulping it down; it's only one of the reasons why most serious keepers won't use live feeders with them.
***I see that. Animals don't like unreasonable behavior around them or anything new, it stresses them indeed.

In your case, the other fish aren't feeders...at least, not intended to be, and not yet :)...but maybe they're just too "dithery" for his comfort?
***In the 3 years together none turned feeders. It can change any moment, so we watch closely.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter haha, very bias yes… still a beautiful specimen tho. Came a long way in ur hands. Love to see the updates on him. Hes far surpassed the mere 50” mine was. The overhead view really showed his size. Jaw dropper… i quite enjoy the “community” tank he’s in as well. Really shows proof of them not being the gluttonous monsters the media made them out to be. I have a chinese wels and its an absolute terror to any tank mates regardless of size. Not fun or enjoyable to keep at all haha… no personality what so ever like its cousin had either. After 6-7 yrs it will still only eat after i walk away. Only positive is its size and extremely slow growth rate.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you brother. Not too far. Its hard to gage his size but I imagine he's got 6"-10" on your guy.

I notice all fish look notably bigger overhead and the father up you are, the bigger they seem! :) Are you saying this view is not magnified? We know through-glass view makes fish look smaller by 10%-15% or so.

Wow. I've read your reports on the meridionalis/Chinese wels before on other threads and on mine. They always struck me - such a stark difference. Could it be you got a "bad seed" or do you find your observations consistent with those of peer keepers of them?

Reactions: wednesday13

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...There is usually no one by him during non-feeding times. The only reason those other knuckleheads were bothering him was because they smelled feed in his mouth and wanted to get at it :) Imagine racoons and possums trying to get at a piece of meat in a tiger's mouth, that'd be the same...
That might actually make it worse. If he is left in peace and quiet all the time, but is then swarmed whenever he tries to eat...I think you see where I am going with this...

Lol..."other knuckleheads"...:)

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you brother. Not too far. Its hard to gage his size but I imagine he's got 6"-10" on your guy.

I notice all fish look notably bigger overhead and the father up you are, the bigger they seem! :) Are you saying this view is not magnified? We know through-glass view makes fish look smaller by 10%-15% or so.

Wow. I've read your reports on the meridionalis/Chinese wels before on other threads and on mine. They always struck me - such a stark difference. Could it be you got a "bad seed" or do you find your observations consistent with those of peer keepers of them?
IMO an overhead view is pretty “true”, if anything they’ll actually be larger when u pull them out like looking through glass. Im a bit bias again, for having looked at one for so long, so closely, but the girth and head on urs has far surpassed my old specimen. So much so that i was “alarmed” when u walked behind ur tank for that shot lol…

As for the Chinese… id say its their typical nature to be agro despite their size. Im surprised when i see anyone trying to co hab them. Vince brought in a large one yrs ago and tried several times for tank mates to no avail like myself. Rich/Josh have a cple small ones in community tanks and i dont see it lasting long.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That might actually make it worse. If he is left in peace and quiet all the time, but is then swarmed whenever he tries to eat...I think you see where I am going with this... Lol..."other knuckleheads"...:)
If you are implying that the pests got the wels to release the feed, then it's a valid third explanation, in addition to the feed newness and size, yes, I agree and finally do see your point.

The wels is most usually not bothered by anyone during the feedings either because he swallows fast and because I throw in loads of feed almost all at once and the "numbnuts" get busy and try to steal from each other too.

IMO an overhead view is pretty “true”, if anything they’ll actually be larger when u pull them out like looking through glass. Im a bit bias again, for having looked at one for so long, so closely, but the girth and head on urs has far surpassed my old specimen. So much so that i was “alarmed” when u walked behind ur tank for that shot lol…

As for the Chinese… id say its their typical nature to be agro despite their size. Im surprised when i see anyone trying to co hab them. Vince brought in a large one yrs ago and tried several times for tank mates to no avail like myself. Rich/Josh have a cple small ones in community tanks and i dont see it lasting long.
Thank you. Always pick up solid info from your posts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store