Wels Catfish (Silurus glanis) Grow out and informational thread!!!!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
RIP at 14.5" :( Made a rookie mistake. I was at work last month and didn't check the weather. We had an unusual hot snap and it got into the 90s. I was at work for 12 hours and when I got home this fish and my vulture both dead with their mouths open as if they had been gasping for air all day. Made me really sad. I searched for so long and because I failed to check the weather and take preventative measures to help keep the water cool they are now dead. Water was 88 when I got home. I took the lid off and let it cool down with a fan blowing across the water. Three other fish survived in the same tank and none of the other fish were affected. Just this tank is in the living room which gets really hot and no AC. Wasn't really expecting 90s in montana in may. Usually 60s and 70s max with some snow still. As a matter of fact it snowed just a few days later and we went back into a cold snap. Just now peaking back into the 80s.

JK Monster Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
socal
Rest In peace: your wels cat, I know how it feels, my foot long blue channel cat got killed by a bull head 3 days after it was moved to the pond because my 110 was too small :(

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I was actually planing to move this guy to the 400 gal pond that same week. Wish I had done it sooner he would still be alive, but with that said I would have also moved the flathead back to the 100 temporarily and he might have perished instead. Either way sucks. For sure the water was too hot for enough dissolved oxygen to be in the water for the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store