Wels Catfish vs Chinese Wels?

ThePetAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I was wondering what the difference was between the wels catfish and the Chinese wels catfish? I have taken an interest in the wels catfish but they are illegal to own but the Chinese wels is not, also how big does the Chinese wels grow?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Main important thing for us hobbyists is the size. Wels can get upto 15ft and Chinese wels can get 5ft.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You could start reading on the PCF on Silurus glanis versus Silurus meridionalis and go from there. There are other resources, like SeriouslyFish, FishBase, and popular articles on the web.

Are you the guy by chance on YouTube who proposed I get the Chinese wels from PredatoryFins?

Ed123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2016
Trabuco canyon
The euro wels (silurus glanis) has 3 pairs of barbels while the s. meridionalis has only 2pairs. Color of the young seems to be an indication too where S. Glanis is covered in black spots whereas the S.meridionalis has no black spots. A better question would be the difference between the Eastern species of Silurus. The best I can come up for the difference between the Amur catfish (S. Asotus) and meridionalis is that the Amurs have the same black spotted body when younger and a slightly different mouth. IDK though, Ask Wes (fugupuff) he know more than me

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I own one of the Meridionalis from Wes. I’ve had it for I think 3-4 years now and I want to say it’s maxed out at around 16-17”. It’s to the point now I can’t even tell if it’s put any length/size on in the last year. By far my favorite fish I’ve ever kept though. Extremely aggressive as I keep him by himself. I actually thoroughly enjoy the fact that it’s stayed on the smaller side of things I’ve enjoyed it a lot more. I know another member on here has/had a trio and same thing they seem to get north of 15” and then stop. I keep mine in ~70 degree water year round.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store