Wels catfish ?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
colors are right for a wels (silurus glanis), but that bottom jaw says otherwise... looks a bit wallago... im leaning towards silurus asotus...or silurus soldatovi tho. the 2 silurus sp i mention are smaller growing than the s. glanis so u may b a bit lucky. even s. glanis will not be 3-6' for quite some time. nice pickup! and goodluck with him.

Reactions: moe214

Sutt.72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
I agree, colouration very similar, but that mouth is telling me no, still very nice! Just hope you got something big put it in lol

image-3.jpg

ManuelP

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2014
Austria
I have seen many young wels catfish, but that head looks pretty strange...something doesn't seem right (especially the eyes)

but the first thing i noticed, is the dorsal fin. Wels catfish have a rounded, thin dorsal fin, not an angular one like your fish.
Also, the whole fish seems too slender for a S. glanis.

So I don't think your catfish is a S. glanis, but it may be another Silurus sp.

Again, I'm not an expert in identifying catfish, so I can surely be wrong, but in my opinion, the fish seems kind of strange to me.

I have a fish breeder (sells fish for food and stocking ponds, lakes,...) pretty close to my place.
He often gets S. glanis, from tiny 5cm babies to monsters with about 100kg or even more ( but 100kg+ ones not so often).
If you want, I'll show him your fish next time I visit him, maybe he knows for sure if it's a S. glanis or not.

oh, the fish seems to be way too skinny, please feed him earthworms, he should fatten up in no time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Having stared at Silurus, Wallago, and Ompok species, I think this is an Ompok. Two of the reasons are Silurus dorsal fin is clearly different and Wallago mouth differs (but less obviously) from the OP fish while Ompok looks the closest of the three.

$20 price is also quite consistent with an Indian exported Ompok. Wallago and Silurus command ~10x higher price at the same juvi size.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hi zollo. Welcome to mfk. This thread, amongst others you have posted in is 4 years old. Maybe try doing a wtb add in the marketplace. Just make sure you read up the rules and whatnot, so you can get what you are looking for.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store