Wels catfish

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
just curious, what's the plan when this bad boy hits 6ft and 200lb?
Beautiful animal by the way.
I bet it's awesome to feed this guy.
What are you feeding? Does it eat a lot?
My friend owns one and his is 50" and 30 lbs at 5 years old. I have a 50x40 out building so I have plenty of room to upgrade him plus I have a monster basement as well for a pond. But them cats that are 200lbs there like 30 years old too. So I have a ways before I get to that point.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You must be talking about wednesday13 wednesday13 and his wels.

I have one of the 2 left. The growth rate is about the same as yours and Wednesday's. Our summer has been hot and mine has been eating 10x less than before. Or could be that he is not fond of his 240 gal tank, being at 2' now too.

Reactions: Chicxulub

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Chicxulub

Texasrockwell

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
I got mine from Wes last year. He was about 6-7 inches when I got him, and now he is right around 2ft.
He ate everything in sight for about the first 6 months, then I cut back on the feeding. Seems to be right on par with Redtails for growth. Probably could have kept feeding him and he would have grown even faster. I will see if I can get some pictures of him. I usually only see him at night.

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
just curious, what's the plan when this bad boy hits 6ft and 200lb?
Beautiful animal by the way.
I bet it's awesome to feed this guy.
What are you feeding? Does it eat a lot?
Well I have a monster basement so I'm going to build a monster pond. I typically feed her every other day just a few cut pieces of fish not eating me out of the house yet. Unlike wednesday13 wednesday13 his eats him out of the house at 30lbs and 50"

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Well I have a monster basement so I'm going to build a monster pond. I typically feed her every other day just a few cut pieces of fish not eating me out of the house yet. Unlike wednesday13 wednesday13 his eats him out of the house at 30lbs and 50"
False...mine only eats 1-1.5 tilapia fillets every other day to every 4 days. There was a study done in France with wild specimen and they concluded a 6' catfish only consumed around 1-1.5lbs of food per week ;). Thats pretty minimal in my opinion. Large catfish are comparable to reptiles in this aspect in that they will consume 1 large meal at a time and not feed again for up to a month on their own volition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store