went fishing today

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
yes it is a steelhead. see the large hooked jaw on the bottom and also when i fillet it the meat was pink like a salmon all they rainbows i catch have white meat and no hooked jaw. very tasy on the grill i might say

ae2359

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
michigan
Steelhead and bows are the same species, so they should have the same meat. Also that is not a hooked jaw its a deformity thats how you can tell its a hatchery fish, if it looks like crap then its from the hatchery. That fish would never have survived in the big lake. Also its very small most steelies don't ascend the rivers until their quite a bit larger then that.

Sometimes immature fish do make the trip up the rivers though but not really to spawn for the most part they are just there to gorge themselves on eggs. But, I highly doubt your fish is one of these because I can't believe that with a mouth like that it had any cance of surviving in the big lake.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
YEAH MAN!!!!

Thats awesome!!!!

Fishing is the best.

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
yes these fish are in the lake cause most of the fisherman were wading out in the lake catching them as they were coming up the mouth. yes it is one of the smaller ones but they were ranging from 17 to 28 inches in length. they dont stock here until april 14th and there small fish but ya the meat is deffintly diff. if i go catch a 12 inch rainbow or brown the meat is white and now pink. beats me

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
ya there making there runs now this is the local fishing reports . Date Fished: April 2
Water Conditions: Green and stained
Posted By: "Elkcreek4" djpandme@aol.com
4/2/2007 9:40:12 PM Report ID: 19018

Report: Hooked a couple smolts at the waterfall hole and moved out of there so as not to disturb then further. Seeing those steelies to be made me thankful to all those folks who help maintain this great fishery.
Moved upstream, just south of the rte 5 tubes.
Lost a couple, landed two suckers and then two real fresh steelies. Not real big, 22" and 24" but great acrobatic fighters.
Decent flow from runoff from Sundays rain. Water was a bit stained so I opted for an off white maggot imitation. Beautiful day to be on the water and two fresh fish for the smoker.

Date Fished: 4/1/07
Water Conditions: perfect
Posted By: "Grassman" GlJl@sbcglobal.net
4/2/2007 8:16:15 PM Report ID: 19017

Report: Took the day off from landscaping to catch steel. Headed to the flooded hotel swift bend.
Took my 9 year old son and found plenty of steel. They took minnows and maggots on the noodle rod. On the fly they hit anything that went past their nose. Caught a variety of size fish from jacks to hoggs. The fish were on a feeding frenzy and my son can not wait for his next time out on the stream. Would like to take him up to the great state of PA.
May the silver be with you. And dont forget to apply that first round of fertilizer on your lawn before the ground temp rises. Preemergent with Dimension and fertlizer will make for a healthy lawm. 10-4

Water Conditions: perfect
Posted By: "Grassman" GlJl@sbcglobal.net
4/2/2007 8:16:03 PM Report ID: 19016

Report: Took the day off from landscaping to catch steel. Headed to the flooded hotel swift bend.
Took my 9 year old son and found plenty of steel. They took minnows and maggots on the noodle rod. On the fly they hit anything that went past their nose. Caught a variety of size fish from jacks to hoggs. The fish were on a feeding frenzy and my son can not wait for his next time out on the stream. Would like to take him up to the great state of PA.
May the silver be with you. And dont forget to apply that first round of fertilizer on your lawn before the ground temp rises. Preemergent with Dimension and fertlizer will make for a healthy lawm. 10-4

Date Fished: 3/31
Water Conditions: tainted and moderate flow
Posted By: "OhioFlyHeader" glenn@leppos.com
4/2/2007 7:58:41 AM Report ID: 19015

Report: Landed 5 steel (biggest 7-1/4#) in the faster water on olive streamer and/or orange egg, lost a lot more in the 5+ # range. Quit biting on 4X and immediately started on 5X, but the hogs are tough to land on 5X when they can run faster than me. Also landed 12 suckers - they don't fight as long - almost as hard for size, but not as long.

Date Fished: Fri March 30th-Sun April 1
Water Conditions: Low and Clear
Posted By: "King Mackerel" neuschr@netscape.net
4/1/2007 5:34:24 PM Report ID: 19012

Report: Made the trip up from Hopewell with Ron from Darlington. Met up with Ron and his Son -in- Law Doug both from around the Wampam area. This was Dougs first Steelhead Trip. Had a great time and good weather for the most part. We all caught Steelhead on fathead minnows and Crawlers even though the conditions were low and clear. Nice not to have the big crowds like in the fall. Got to see Doug catch his first Steelhead one im sure he wont soon forget. Told him I didnt hear him say fish on ! He said not till it was in the net ! Rookie ! Look forward to making the trip up in the fall. Good friends great fishing indeed Life is Good ! :)

Date Fished: 3/29/07-3/30/2007
Water Conditions: Very low/clear
Posted By: "salmonstud" yybritt@yahoo.com
4/1/2007 3:33:14 PM Report ID: 19011

Report: Made the 6 hour drive to fish a few days with my Dad earlier this week. Conditions as noted by others were tough....very low & gin clear. Had to go with very light tippet/stealthy floats/blackbird shot & minnows. I went 12 for about 20 on Thursday & my father landed 1/2 dozen. We fished the upper & middle stretches. Friday fishing was very slow in the morning...fish were few and far between in the upper stretch. Tried the section of the middle of the creek and were rewarded by stumbling upon a pod of about 50-60 fish in a 30x15' 3.5' deep run. There wasn't another fihserman around and we had the spot to ourselves until dark. Dad & I landed an estimated 30 fish between the two of us in 4 hours. Hooked a few fish in the 8-10 lb class but most ran on the smaller side 4-5 lb range. The bottom line is if you can find active unmolested fish & have the right presentation, those 20+ steelhead days are very possible even in very low water. Wish I lived closer...fishing is nice in Michigan, but the Erie region is a phenominal fishery. Tight lines!

Water Conditions: stained green
Posted By: "chippy" bowhunterchippy@yahoo.com
4/1/2007 3:20:38 PM Report ID: 19010

Report: ment up with my friend around 12 fished untill 4:30 1 hook up lost that hook my friend layed in to them like he allways does put on a show for everybody on the creek be back up next weekend tight lines& good fishing

Water Conditions: clear
Posted By: "bowmandjk" dsdreamteam@verizon.net
4/1/2007 2:37:12 PM Report ID: 19009

Report: water is clear we need rain fished upper walnut this morning you have to sneak along the banks and hope you see them before they see you .water was so clear that i opted to use 4lb tippet and a white crystal meth with bright pink thread worked great set the fly just up stream and let it float to them hooked two nice steelies but lost them both a good day on any stream is a gift

Posted By: "ishkabibble" jbgcabin5860@alltel.net
4/1/2007 10:11:18 AM Report ID: 19007

Report: was able to get under route 5 by the campgrounds --some fish there --threw all that i had at these fish --caught 1 about 18 --lost nice one and caught a sucker --also some smolts --1buddy got 1 about 17 --another got 1 about 24 --then there is our other buddy who can catch fish in a dry toilet --he got 6 --couple nice ones 24 -25 ---still cant understand why the steel did not come in when we had the hi water a couple --few weks ago but there are not alot of fish --even at trout run there are few --they are old and beat up --there were some at the mouth but again afew --will keep on trying --luck has got to change

Date Fished: 3/31/07
Water Conditions: creek low
Posted By: "5 in the Bunch" Kochin313@comcast.net
3/31/2007 11:16:59 PM Report ID: 19006

Report: 8 Hours of fishing, no fish...threw everything but hand grenades.

Date Fished: Saturday 3/31/07
Water Conditions: Clear
Posted By: "boolywugger" Blackburnm2000@yahoo.com
3/31/2007 6:26:46 PM Report ID: 19004

Report: Good luck with Muddlers. White and brown,on the swing.

Date Fished: 3/30/07
Posted By: "deastman" deastman7@verizon.net
3/30/2007 10:43:54 PM Report ID: 18998

Report: Beautiful day to be fishing. Had a great time with friends fishing 20 mile. Caught several fresh fish. Most fish caught were silver. Some females dropping eggs. One 28" weighed 8 1/4#, after she had lost most of the eggs she had when I caught her. Only caught one spent steelie. Could use some rain. Keep on fishing!

Date Fished: 3/30/07
Water Conditions: choppy
Posted By: "Presquisleanglr" danielsalawa@aol.com
3/30/2007 7:12:43 PM Report ID: 18997

Report: Winds north, north east, ice still pushing in from the main lake, little bit of ice in the bay but not enough to worry about. Steelhead off the East Ave rocks still productive even though the water is off color due to the north east winds. Perch fishing was slow, crappies were even slower, and conditions in the bay have diminished due to the north east winds. Water clarity is less than fair, and the bite is off as of today, it could pick up if the winds shift out of the south like predicted for tomorrow. Talked to several anglers that were out in boats and the best perch bite was in Marina lake north shore 12ft of water, several northern pike also hooked up and the usual large mouth bass. Marina lake can be fished any where from shore if you care to walk a little. Best location north side just inside the channel, this can be reached from the road just after the first bridge crossing the lagoons, look for the weather tower and you’re there, small jig heads with emerald shiners fished under a bobber 6ft.

ae2359

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
michigan
I'm not saying that steelhead are not in your tribs right now, just that this is not one of them. I agree that fish is from a previous stock but not all stocked fish make it to the lakes some choose to stay in the rivers. Its still a nice 'bow though.

I have no idea what your talking about with the meat on browns and 'bows its always been pink for me. Well I guess browns meat is more orange then pink.

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
ya man i dont know. april 14 will be the next time i hit the stockies up and after i fillet them ill take pics and there meat are white and very good tasting as to were the salmon and steelhead are pink and i rather them smoked. maybe its the size? the stockies are like 8 9 10 inches and im tellin ya that meat is white as white and not fishy tasting like that big rainbow or steelhead or whatever it is.

ae2359

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
michigan
I guess you'll have to show me, maybe its the food that the trout eat at the hatchery that makes their meat white.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store