wet/dry and k1 combination sump

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
In the process of planning a 720 gallon (8'x4'x3') plywood aquarium. I plan on using my current 180 gallon as the sump. I have a lot of bacteria house media that I want to use in a wet/dry section and k1 in a fluidized section. Anyone ever DIY or see any nice designs for a combination sump like this? Alternatively, I could always use the bacteria house media submerged but feel like a wet/dry set up for this type of media would be better (just a guess)?

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You will either have to have the wet/dry area in a tower raised above the water level then K1 or have the K1 media section first and have the water overflow out of that area onto a spreading plate that will evenly spread the water over the wet/dry.
I would think it would be simpler to have the wet dry tower first, if you have the space to raise it high enough.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have a small pump that takes water from my sump into a 40ish gallon garbage can full of k1/k3. The garbage can then drains back into my sump. Quick, easy, effective.

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
You will either have to have the wet/dry area in a tower raised above the water level then K1 or have the K1 media section first and have the water overflow out of that area onto a spreading plate that will evenly spread the water over the wet/dry.
I would think it would be simpler to have the wet dry tower first, if you have the space to raise it high enough.
Yea, I figured that is how I would need to design it. Thanks for the info.

I have a small pump that takes water from my sump into a 40ish gallon garbage can full of k1/k3. The garbage can then drains back into my sump. Quick, easy, effective.
thanks. Never considered pumping the water out from the sump before. I could probably try one of those 55 gallon plastic barrels.

Reactions: tlindsey

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Yea, I figured that is how I would need to design it. Thanks for the info.

thanks. Never considered pumping the water out from the sump before. I could probably try one of those 55 gallon plastic barrels.
It's not pretty, but it's cheap and effective. Also adds a good amount of water volume to the overall system, which is never a bad thing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store