wet/dry speed?????

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
the return from my pump is 1inc
and the gravity feed to the bio fillter is 2inc the whole of the butt is filled with bio balls and the top has sponges (coarse,medium,fine)
all the media and sponges are completely submergered in warter
the feed in is ajustable i thought it would work better that way (based upon my ehime pro 3)

return more water than my pumps can pump ????? im lost,,sorry
If everything is wet, before you tear things apart, you can try putting several air stones (the finer the bubbles the better) at the bottom of everything to aerate the bio-media. If you've got enough air, that may do it for you.

LoTech

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2006
San Diego
I have a friend who has a big sump filled with submerged media, filtering perhaps 300 gallons. It has worked well for him for years. It may work perfectly for you, as well, so I wouldn't necessarily redo a working system. Just keep it in mind for next time.

As for flow rate through the filter, I again wouldn't worry about it just yet - if you want more water movement or surface agitation, you could just add a powerhead or two. Of course, this depends on what you keep...

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
i have already drilled it for another pump so it will be pumping 200lpm through a 100lt sump(45gl i think?) and the out let will be at the other end so it should give good surface
movement too
thanks for the air stones tip i had not thought of that . with them and the extra pump i should be on to a winner
hope to get some pics soon , it looks the part,but i suppose the proofs in the pudding

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Pudding, someone say something about pudding?! :drool:

Oh.. uh... sorry, I was gone for a moment but I'm back now. :grinyes:

Keep us posted , WE* wait with interest! (royal we)

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
What kinda water parameters are you currently getting?
also...I have found that 18" of vented bio-balls, that have a trickle feed of H20 on them provides the best bio efficency. I also run my mechanical filters after the bio-balls (coarse foam/fine foam/bonded floss/50 micron felt)
DIY filters are the coolest and most cost effictive, Right on for getting your DIY on! :headbang2 :thumbsup:

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
it is a brand new tank with nowt in it yet so parameters have not been tested yet
i have about 24''of bio balls and then the same foams as you apart from being on top

i have now fitted the second pump and and air stones and it is all working well but the pumps are noisy i am now thinking of taking them off and replaceing them with a vortex pump .i donot no any thing about them but a bloke i was talking to reckons thay are silent and can pump 400lts per minute can any one confirm this before i go mad with my hard earned

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store