What’s the trick for good photos?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I am rarely happy with a RAW file straight out of camera. Phone cameras use a lot of software and processing to make your output photo look nice. DSLR cameras have a lot of features to make your photos look good, but with a RAW files you have a lot of additional info you can harness for editing it exactly to your liking. Super important for landscapes or shooting in variable conditions. With how I shot that flower, it would always be underexposed so some editing was necessary.

Editing won't save a poorly composed photo. But it can take a good photo to great ;)

Reactions: DMD123 and Deadeye

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
"I was going to add be aware of things in the picture. Here is another pic I would never submit. why? look closely..."

I see your point, and celebrate the spirit of submitting only what you consider the best possible pictures. However, heater or not showing, the picture you would never submit is still excellent and worthy of being submitted, and worthy of winning as well if it proves to be the most voted on that particular month. Could it be better? yes, but it is quite good nonetheless.
Alternatively, one can take the very strict approach of submitting only the very best for such events (nothing wrong with that), thus elevating the overall quality of the site's competition, but still posting (thus sharing) other pictures in regular posts. Otherwise one would not be contributing to regular and inspiring posts, and depriving the readership of good images that they will enjoy no matter what.
Thank you for that! Ive won POTM once and I am always looking to see if I can top my own picture taking ability. I have only used a phone though I have a DSLR but it has a very slow lens. My goal is great composition with very little editing, just a personal goal for me. My submission this month was something I was happy with but was a little off on the focus.

Reactions: Deadeye

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Every time I submit to POTM, I think to myself, no way this photo can be beat. Then I see what some of you can come up with, and between clarity, lighting, and even timing, I just have to wonder, what are you guys up to? Is there a secret I’m missing to taking perfect photos? I’m using an iPhone X, which should have a very good camera. I think I have timing down (just sit in front of the tank for a few minutes until something cool happens for you). What is the trick for the blackout shots or the really zoomed in ones with perfect clarity? Is that all edited in, or is it years of practice? Do I need a black background on my tanks to help?
The pictures you guys take are amazing, and I’d love to try out for myself!
I don't know what kind of weight you have on your tank but I have a very blue spectrum and my friend came over and took a picture with a filter over my cell phone camera and it made it look so much better I think it was only like 15 or $20

Reactions: Deadeye and DMD123

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Black background, lighting. For bottom fish, I make sure the camera is at there level. A good camera helps to. headbanger_jib headbanger_jib has an insane camera.

Reactions: Deadeye

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Black background, lighting. For bottom fish, I make sure the camera is at there level. A good camera helps to. headbanger_jib headbanger_jib has an insane camera.
I don't have anything extraordinary

These were shot with a Nikon d40, and 18-55mm kit lens of Nikon
DSC_3659.jpg

DSC_9587.jpg

DSC_3983_new.jpg

Now I use a d500, which is also a DX format Nikon.

Practice and learning are the factors that will get you great images

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
There's a nice sticky here, on what are the steps to taking good photographs.

The steps I follow are
* do a water change at least 16hrs ago and clean the inside of the glass, this way any cloudiness of water or detritus floating around is gone.

* A few hours before clean the outside of the glass.

* Don't feed for atleast 24hrs, that way the fish are active and are in your face for food and will react to every movement you make.

* It's always good to know how your fish reacts, what are the movements they make, that way you can predict their movements to catch them in a certain pose you want.

Rest is just placement of speed lights and using the camera.

Bawyuisylud

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2022
Hello)
As for me, everything is in the creative look, and of course the Camera!!!

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Generally I like to use my DSLR to get decent shots. It’s so simple to just focus on the one fish if you have patience. This is especially hard when you are trying to photograph Rainbowfish. I can take some decent photos on my iPhone 5/6.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Need a fast lens - 50mm prime was my favourite for fish. Pin sharp and great focus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store