What’s wrong with my cave tetra

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
That's not just fat. Getting fat due to food would take longer. Something is going on if it doesn't go away after a couple days of no feeding. It could be egg bound, bacterial infection, increase parasitic infection, are the ones that could think of that occur over a period of days.
What should I do?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You'll have to rule out that the fish is egg bound first before any treatment should be done. Start researching what those tetras look like when they have eggs. You could stop feeding for 1 week as well to see if it gets smaller.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t know what it is either, but in my mind something is not consistent with egg bound - you have a group, including males and females; they are always courting and spawning, generally eating the eggs just as fast. So in a group setting, egg bound is unlikely. Something else may be going on, including possibly a bacterial infection, or some feeding-related thing. I would try epsom salt for the feeding situation. It may not help but it will not hurt either. Good luck.

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yesterday I dosed with paragaurd and today I noticed one of the cave tetras had these 5 long white strands coming out of it.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Paraguard doesn’t work for internal issues. that’s what it states in the instructions

that’s poo mucus lining, happens during extreme stress

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store