What’s wrong with my planted tank

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys, set up my 75 planted tank about a month ago and seem to be having issues with my jungle Val. When I bought it online, the plant was reddish brown and since then, it’s gotten a bit greener but has not sent runners or grew. I have a LED shop light and have recently increased lighting from 6 hours to 8 hours a day. The inhabitants are 4 mystery snails and I dose flourish comprehensive once a week the recommended amount. I have fluval stratum capped with small river gravel. I also added a few root tabs.The other plants are crypt lutea, water wisteria, and assorted Anubias.
Thanks guys!

399CD510-9666-4D56-87E2-78E10D56DC8F.jpeg

FB404B93-D1E1-4EEE-A27F-50247AC768CB.jpeg

37522627-709D-4457-A5E9-9E4B9FBCB611.jpeg

590F930B-EBBF-494C-8284-E84E62BDF25D.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Pull the base out more so the roots are in the substrate. I’d suggest adding some root tabs and fertz to the tank.
I have root tabs and fertz already. Also what do you mean by pull the base out more lol. Should I plant it shallower so that I can see the roots or plant it deeper? Thanks!

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
HHm. Ok.
Well my vals look like that. They haven't gown for 9 months.
You anubias looks good. It has a new leaf. But they are SLOW growers.
Same thing with crypts.
You're wisteria is in it's emersed form. It needs to transfer over to it's submersed form. Give it a little time. I've had bad luck with it but you may have very good luck.

What are the specs on the light?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
HHm. Ok.
Well my vals look like that. They haven't gown for 9 months.
You anubias looks good. It has a new leaf. But they are SLOW growers.
Same thing with crypts.
You're wisteria is in it's emersed form. It needs to transfer over to it's submersed form. Give it a little time. I've had bad luck with it but you may have very good luck.

What are the specs on the light?
Lights are 42 watts and 4000 k. My wisteria was bought submersed but in my tank turned emerged lol. I really want the jungle Val to take off since they give the jungle feel I’m looking for!

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Lights are 42 watts and 4000 k. My wisteria was bought submersed but in my tank turned emerged lol. I really want the jungle Val to take off since they give the jungle feel I’m looking for!
how many LEDs? 4000k isnt the best TBH. Try shooting for 6500k+. Im not saying 4000 wont work but it isnt ideal. Can you get a new light?
Try getting some taller vals. Form what i know vals tend to take off once they reach the surface.
My wisteria was bought submersed but in my tank turned emerged
That's impossible.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
how many LEDs? 4000k isnt the best TBH. Try shooting for 6500k+. Im not saying 4000 wont work but it isnt ideal. Can you get a new light?
Try getting some taller vals. Form what i know vals tend to take off once they reach the surface.

That's impossible.
I Always thought that higher kelvin just made the tank more aesthetically pleasing and has no effect on the plants health (since it’s just a diff color spectrum). For the water wisteria, I should probably reword my prior comment. The leaves are round and only grow round now instead of the Lacey water wisteria I bought it as so I’m not sure if it’s “emerged” leaves or there’s a deficiency. I feel like the growth is due to diatom algae covering the leaves and inhibiting growth. I’ve added some mystery snails and they have cleaned up the algae a bit. Hopefully this makes them grow better!

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
I Always thought that higher kelvin just made the tank more aesthetically pleasing and has no effect on the plants health (since it’s just a diff color spectrum). For the water wisteria, I should probably reword my prior comment. The leaves are round and only grow round now instead of the Lacey water wisteria I bought it as so I’m not sure if it’s “emerged” leaves or there’s a deficiency. I feel like the growth is due to diatom algae covering the leaves and inhibiting growth. I’ve added some mystery snails and they have cleaned up the algae a bit. Hopefully this makes them grow better!
Spectrum makes a BIG difference. Plants use a lot of the blue and red spectrum. They need it to photosynthesize.
i wish a lot of luck!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Your jungle Val is acting similar to my jungle Val, but my Italian Val sent runners. Since these plants are low light plants you won’t need to add a brighter light, though it could help for faster growth. More ferts like root tabs should help.

Reactions: Rayfishowner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store