What are common cold water Monster Fish?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
It seem like most of the cool looking Monster fish are tropical.
What are some amazing looking Monster fish members keep that do not require a heated tank?
Fish that would be comfortable in a 250-350 tank.
Pictures are appreciated.

Tank You!

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Footprint is more important than gallonage IMO when I think of any cold unheated temperature in my basement is easily 55-65 winter/summer - Monster fish its automatically the Sturgeons for me from the north LOL the flathead catfish, channel cats, gar, northern, bowfins, largemouth basses there’s just too many options when it comes to large cool water - our native fish are built for the cooler waters but gets boring after a bit

I’m following this thread for more ideas too!

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnymax

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
At monster size uh have koi and at extra monstrous size uh have sturgeons
Small monsters are smallmouth bass , trout, salmon, and pond loaches

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sturgeon and catfish probably at the top, if strictly freshwater.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Blue and channel cats, carp, certain gar species, paddlefish.....

Reactions: Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The quintessential cold water fish in the hobby is probably the koi. But it doesn't really fit in with your 250-300g set up, they're too big, as are some of the others that have been mentioned.

Do you have any smallish cold water natives in Texas? It's that big i'm not sure what the climate is like throughout that state.

I'm lucky in the uk, every native fish we have is coldwater, and my favourite by far is the European perch. One day i'm hoping to have half a dozen in my 360g. You wanted good looking coldwater fish, meet Perca Fluviatilis.....

images.jpeg.jpg

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Bowfins, Longnose Gars, Yellow Perch, and American Eels are all native to your state of Texas. Alligator gars can live in there for a little while but will eventually get too big

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
They aren't often considered "monsters" because probably 99.999% of them don't survive long enough to attain their maximum size, but...how about goldfish?

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
I believe in the wild Hoplias Malibaricus (Wolf fish) and Salminus Brasiliensis (Golden Dorado) can adapt to cold/cool water around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Also, Esox Niger (Chain Pickerel), Sander Vitreus (Walleye), and Catostomus commersonii (White Sucker) are big fish native to US.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store