What are some DIY methods for Subdued lighting?

goldenchild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Montreal
www.goontribe.net
Just want to see some ideas for subdued lighting in an Aquarium. I just moved my Datnoids into a 220G. I'm getting pissed cause they have all that room and they park in the corners when the lights are on.

I'm running 2/AC110, 1/EHEIM Pro 2, and an XP4.
5/ 5-7 inch Datnoids, 2 Bichirs and 1 Fancy Pleco.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I would suggest some floating plants or driftwood.

For lights, just the cheap shop light type lights with aquarium bulbs are pretty soft.

andres

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Hmmm?
You can put duct tape over your lighting depending on how your light fixture is setup. On my 135, I have a hole cut in the hood, and if i want to dim the tank, I just move the light so less of it comes through the hole.

The tape works great if you have glass or no canopy.

You could also get a less bright bulb.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
paper or shade cloth.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
LED strips off of ebay. Most are 12v DC, so you would need a power supply. Some of these are pretty bright, not at full lighting power yet, but pretty close. I have 2, 120cm(4foot) strips on a 55 and they are pretty sweet. At $15 a strip, not a budget breaker. They are powered by a 800ma-12vdc supply for a pencil sharpener.
LED ropes from HD/Lowes/WalMart..but, they do not put out a whole lot of light. Just enough for night viewing, if you got the blue, it would be like moonlights. No power supply is needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store