What are the chances?

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Of a 3-4 comm. made up of a couple of Silvers, a Blacky and a Greeny? I was thinking of adding more Arowanas to the Silver I just got today but I don't know if aggression will be a problem. Here in Singapore many people have Arowana comms of 5 fishes or more but I don't know whether it applies to Silvers/Blacks as well. Will two Silvers fight for sure? What about a 3 piece Silver comm.? Need some expert advice. Thank you!

Dragonseek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2010
chicago
more than 1 person told me, it's ok with odds, like 3 , 5, or 7 fishes, they wouldn't fight. but i didn't try myself.

Adrius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Brasilia
size tank? WC schedule? above 300gal. i wouldnt worry. add some dither fish like barbs, sharks or a fei feng. occasional bullying will occur, but nothing too serious. just beware of size difference...adding a small silver to a big aro community tank will surely be a waste of time & money...
anyway, give us more input on your setup...good luck!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Anything is possible in a big enough tank....

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Most anything is worth a try. Two things you should have. A huge tank that is able to properly house the multiple arowana. Along with separate tanks to house single arowana if they need separated. It may take many different individual specimens before you find the combo that works. Arowana community tanks are wonderful, but they don't just happen. Proper planning and work is required.

Dragonseek;5060702; said:
more than 1 person told me, it's ok with odds, like 3 , 5, or 7 fishes, they wouldn't fight. but i didn't try myself.
LoL, arowana can count?

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
^^ I agree. It's definitely possible in a big tank, but keep yourself prepared to separate problem fish or injuries.

Sidrock

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Bombay, India
Bderick67;5060996; said:
Most anything is worth a try. Two things you should have. A huge tank that is able to properly house the multiple arowana. Along with separate tanks to house single arowana if they need separated. It may take many different individual specimens before you find the combo that works. Arowana community tanks are wonderful, but they don't just happen. Proper planning and work is required.
Brian,

Can you please post the proper planning and work needed for a Silver/Black Aro community tank? (Maybe a new thread?)

It will definitely be helpful and (IMO) be a sticky.

Thank you,

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
I'm keeping the Silver i currently have in a 2 footer at the moment. The fish is only about 3" long. Will get a Black the same size and once they've buffed up a bit, i'll get the Green cos' i've only seen Greens about 4-5" for sale. Once they're about 6-7", i'll transfer them into a 4x2x2 with an African Arowana, Mormyrus Tapirus and a bunch of Bichirs. From there they'll get to go to a 6x3x2.5.

iman87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Singapore
Comming aro species takes alot of time, patience and money.

I tried comming my green with an afro.

Failed.
Afro starts attacking green and soon after, green starts to fight back.
The next day, my green jumped out to its death through a small hole. I wonder how he manged to jump through that. Plus i seperated the afro as well.

Learned my lesson. Its up to individual fish temperament and aggressiveness.
Be prepared to lose some fishes or see damaged fishes.

Goodluck trying bro! :)
All the best! :)

P.S Size difference was 1 inch. Afro was 1 inch smaller than green.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Hey cheesetain if you suceed tell me.

Am planning on adding a black and silver arowana together. Kind of like Ying and Yang.
My mum figures it would bring me good luck...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store