What are you cooking today.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The classic blighty fry up, usually a breakfast meal, but my missus has treated me to it for my tea! Possibly my most favourite meal ever. An athletic person such as myself though can't have too many of these so she treats me just once in a while.

Bacon, sausage, black pudding, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans and egg. Washed down with a strong cup of English tea. I'll be slackening off my belt after this that's for sure!

View attachment 1492322
Truly the best way to start the day with If someone cooks you up A breakfast like this. I remember eating these a lot when working on building sites when in the uk, with a physical job you can spend the rest of the day burning off the calories.
One thing though, I remember everyone being outraged if the baked beans touched the eggs on the plate for some weird things English reason. I obviously your wife doesnt follow this rule.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Truly the best way to start the day with If someone cooks you up A breakfast like this. I remember eating these a lot when working on building sites when in the uk, with a physical job you can spend the rest of the day burning off the calories.
One thing though, I remember everyone being outraged if the baked beans touched the eggs on the plate for some weird things English reason. I obviously your wife doesnt follow this rule.
I like the yolk of the egg runny. The only time the beans/egg thing becomes a problem is if the hot beans are over the egg, and the yolk carries on cooking and goes hard due to the heat from the beans. I hate overcooked dried yolks.

Some people take the beans/egg thing a little too far. They'll even have their beans in a separate little bowl on the plate. You see it done that way a lot at guest houses, bed and breakfast type places.

At one time the good old traditional English fry up was just that, everything fried in lard, except the beans, true heart attack fodder.

Some die hards may still cook it this way but the only thing on my plate that was fried was the mushrooms and egg, everything else was grilled.

It's a meal that sets you up for the day that's for sure.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I like the yolk of the egg runny. The only time the beans/egg thing becomes a problem is if the hot beans are over the egg, and the yolk carries on cooking and goes hard due to the heat from the beans. I hate overcooked dried yolks.

Some people take the beans/egg thing a little too far. They'll even have their beans in a separate little bowl on the plate. You see it done that way a lot at guest houses, bed and breakfast type places.

At one time the good old traditional English fry up was just that, everything fried in lard, except the beans, true heart attack fodder.

Some die hards may still cook it this way but the only thing on my plate that was fried was the mushrooms and egg, everything else was grilled.

It's a meal that sets you up for the day that's for sure.
Someone once told me the full English was originally eaten by farmers and not as a breakfast as we understand it. Apparently they got up at 4am and milked the cows for a few hours thenfed all the other animals then ate this at around 9am. Then they would work on the farm until it got darkthen ate dinner. It’s a bit different to eating this as soon as you get up then sitting at a desk all day.

I’m inspired now, might hit the English butcher near my office and stock up. Will post my interpretation of this classic dish next week, a few days at the gym before might be a good idea too!

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I’m inspired now, might hit the English butcher near my office and stock up.
I don't know the history of the full English breakfast. But it's certainly up there with fish and chips and Sunday roast as classic blighty cuisine. I look forward to seeing your attempt at a good old blighty fry up, and of course you'll have to cook it outside on the Barbi!! Lol.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
EB8A5AEF-831F-4FF1-8758-6927E2316E7D.jpeg
burgers and chicken.

Reactions: jjohnwm

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Parents got me a birthday cake. It’s a heath blizzard cake from Dairy Queen. I asked for something sarcastic on the cake, and they delivered!

View attachment 1495587
Happy 13th birthday young man! That's how many candles I can spot anyway.

Your parents have got a great sense of humour, and after all, you did ask them to do it, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store