What attracts you to this hobby?

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
For me, as a child, my parents always took us camping and road trippin wherever our van could take us.
While I'd be out exploring nature, I'd always be drawn to the lakes rivers creeks and puddles, swimming in it and looking for cool creatures.
Sometimes I would sit there on a rock and just gaze into the body of water and slowly I would see life emerge from the nooks and crannies.

Now that I have aquariums, i try to replicate that feeling as a child in my aquariums.
Lots of wood rocks and plants.
I do not want all of fish readily seen, though they're comfortable and will pace the tank when they see me begging for food.
My friends come over and look into my tank, and see my community fish, not knowing I have more stuff in there sleeping or whatever.
I throw some sinking shrimp pellets in there and the large bichirs, small bichirs, loaches and other inhabitants crawl out and they're amazed at the bichirs mostly (most my friends aren't into aquariums, except one).

I find bare tanks extremely boring.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I love the science aspect. There's always something new to learn and I can never read enough.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
I do not want all of fish readily seen, though they're comfortable and will pace the tank when they see me begging for food.
LMAO!!! I know exactly what you mean, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHAT YOU WROTE!!!

I think I'd be pacing too if I saw you in front of the tank begging for food!!!

Says the fishy to the owner, "Now hold on there!!! (Gulp) Just which one of us are you planning on eating?"

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
There should be a 'they' in there lol
Sorry English isn't my 1st language
Actually, all the needed words are there. "Begging for food" should be tied to "they're" by placing after "pacing the tank" which will break the link to the pronoun "me"...
This helps me get it right most of the time because it is a blatant example of the structural error...
Throw the cow over the fence, some hay.
English is not my forte, but it was required reading because I can't read any other language.
You're definitely one up on me.
You'll get better with time... I'm old and the road in front of me is saying something else... :eek:

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I can't really put my finger on an exact reason, I mean I like nature, animals; and hobbies I can do over a long period of time; so I guess that aquascaping, growing fish up and maintaining an ecosystem is what I find rewarding.

Plus even though my friends think I'm insane, they all admit my main tank is pretty cool and ask me if i have spare tanks lol

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I just like watching them do "their thing", whatever it may be. In Aus we have limited options for a lot of the fish i want to keep. Will be moving to the States next year, then i'm going to be limited in money and space, not options :p

Reactions: convict360

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What drew me to the hobby was a family death. My hubby brought me 3 little blue fish to cheer me up, they turned out to be lombardoi cichlids.. What fun! Seriously, they were amazing to watch playing in the tank and arguing among themselves, setting up territories and all that jazz. Now I'm fascinated with goldfish.. I think they're often overlooked by others in the hobby because they're thought to be "boring" to those people I have to ask, have you ever seen them grow from fry to fish? They've got a much more interesting growth pattern than any cichlid I've watched grow.. Just my opinion. I've always loved all animals and have never thought that fish get the recognition they deserve as pets.. I mean, they can outlive dogs and cats, why don't they get that same respect? :)

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
The idea of having aggressive fish that can be seen on river monster excites me.... im facinated by aggresive behavior and hunting tactics. Honestly there are so many reasons to list why i love fish keeping.... but to explain why exactly fish as a hobby ... i have no idea....i ask myself that a lot seeing how i only have a few hobbies .... including this one that takes up a lot of my life..... i constantly think about tanks/speicies of fish etc.... its quite obsessive and kind of sad honestly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store