What bait to trap small sunfish?

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Got a minnow trap, new to it. I tried dog food yesterday, darters were into it but could get fed from the sides of the trap. So clearly I'll need to suspend the food in the middle of the trap, I have an old tea ball that should do the trick. What should I stick in it?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Got a minnow trap, new to it. I tried dog food yesterday, darters were into it but could get fed from the sides of the trap. So clearly I'll need to suspend the food in the middle of the trap, I have an old tea ball that should do the trick. What should I stick in it?
When I was into catching live feeders I always used bread.I would tear off a few pieces and wad them into marble sized balls then place them inside the trap or, if I used my castnet I would toss the bread balls into the water so they could sink down onto the net.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Still might pick up a cast net, but wish I could find a small cheap one with tiny, tiny mesh. Yesterday had bits of bait that escaped and would get swarmed over some open areas I could likely throw a net and get it back in one piece.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Still might pick up a cast net, but wish I could find a small cheap one with tiny, tiny mesh. Yesterday had bits of bait that escaped and would get swarmed over some open areas I could likely throw a net and get it back in one piece.
It was kind of fun throwing out the net and then pulling it in to see what was captured.I haven't used mine since a few years ago.I may dust it off and give it a whirl before the weather changes.

Reactions: GolemGolem

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Spent many years catfishing… my minnow trap bait of choice was always ritz cheese crackers (the sandwich style)… regular orange american cheese is another good one most people dont think to use. Gills are harder to trap being too large bodied to fit through the holes. My state only permits 1” hole size… if u can find a good area for them ull get them… locating the right area is more important than ur bait ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store