What breed is a baby doll cat?

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
My bf and his mom have told me about this breed of cat but I can't find any information on them at all. I know my cat breeds and have no idea what they're talking about lol At first I thought maybe it was a designer breed, not registered with the Cat Fancy but honestly don't know. I know sometimes Persians are referred to as baby doll faced but they said that's not the cat.. Anyone ever heard of them or have one?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
I thought Ragdoll also but they said no. Also that the cat was tiny, so I mentioned Munchkins or Napoleons but they don't seem to be it either..

I think it was just a designer cat (mixed breed cat someone was trying to make a breed) and since they don't know much on cat breeds (or origins/histories of them either) that it could possibly be one of those breeds or a mix of.

I was just curious because I am familiar with all the registered cat breeds and was wondering if I had possibly missed one..

Lady Blast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I bought my persian 7 years ago, he was refereed to as a doll face...his nose isnt between his eyes. He's a love bug too! Please meet, Gandalf, The Grey.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
If you do a search on "baby doll Persian kittens", you will find a bunch of sites advertising "baby doll faced" Persian kittens, and "tea cup" kittens. Silver Persians are typically smaller than other Persians. Many of the reputable silver breeders state on their sites that there is no such thing as a "tea cup" cat. "Miniature", "standard" and "teacup" are NOT Persian classifications. Doll faced is also not a correct term. "Chinchilla" and "shaded" are the correct designations.

Here's a site which gives Persian standards:
http://www.wyndcreste.com/persianstandard.shtml

If you deal with a breeder who is talking about "baby doll faced" and "tea cups", they are probably running a cat mill. The reputable breeders who breed to improve the silver lines (by breeding their grand champion cats to other grand champions) will never use those terms. Unfortunately, because they are relatively expensive cats, some people start indiscriminate breeding of pet quality cats for the $$$. Most reputable breeders won't sell a pet quality cat unless the cat is spayed or neutered. Sometimes they won't issue the pedigree papers until there is proof of neutering/spaying.

I find silver Persians to be exquisitely beautiful. I've been negotiating for six months to get a quality silver kitten, and the breeder has finally agreed to let me have one of her kittens. It is highly doubtful that any silver breeder that advertises "teacups/doll faced Persians" will have dams and sires that are grand champions. They may have a champion or two, but that will probably be all. The fact that they make up their own standards should raise red flags.

There are three quality levels--show, breeder and pet quality. Pet quality cats should never be bred. Stay away from the kitten mills--they literally charge as much or more for their inferior cats as a reputable breeder will for a pet quality cat.

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
If you do a search on "baby doll Persian kittens", you will find a bunch of sites advertising "baby doll faced" Persian kittens, and "tea cup" kittens. Silver Persians are typically smaller than other Persians. Many of the reputable silver breeders state on their sites that there is no such thing as a "tea cup" cat. "Miniature", "standard" and "teacup" are NOT Persian classifications. Doll faced is also not a correct term. "Chinchilla" and "shaded" are the correct designations.

Here's a site which gives Persian standards:
http://www.wyndcreste.com/persianstandard.shtml

If you deal with a breeder who is talking about "baby doll faced" and "tea cups", they are probably running a cat mill. The reputable breeders who breed to improve the silver lines (by breeding their grand champion cats to other grand champions) will never use those terms. Unfortunately, because they are relatively expensive cats, some people start indiscriminate breeding of pet quality cats for the $$$. Most reputable breeders won't sell a pet quality cat unless the cat is spayed or neutered. Sometimes they won't issue the pedigree papers until there is proof of neutering/spaying.

I find silver Persians to be exquisitely beautiful. I've been negotiating for six months to get a quality silver kitten, and the breeder has finally agreed to let me have one of her kittens. It is highly doubtful that any silver breeder that advertises "teacups/doll faced Persians" will have dams and sires that are grand champions. They may have a champion or two, but that will probably be all. The fact that they make up their own standards should raise red flags.

There are three quality levels--show, breeder and pet quality. Pet quality cats should never be bred. Stay away from the kitten mills--they literally charge as much or more for their inferior cats as a reputable breeder will for a pet quality cat.
My thoughts exactly.

I have a feeling the cat was *possibly* a purebred (or could have just been a domestic short hair) that they sold under a designer name to get more, like a lot of backyard breeders do. Supposedly this lady bought the "babydoll" cat for 10 grand and that's why I really wanted to know if this cat was real. I know when you start hearing terms like that, it's not a real breeder but was still curious to know what possible breeds the cat could be. Persian being the most likely even though my bf said that wasn't it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store