What can I do to prevent my GT from freaking out when I turn on the tank lights?

jusmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2006
Honolulu HI
How can I prevent my GT from freaking out and banging against the glass whenever I turn on the tank lights? Would lunar lights help since they are dimmer than the regular flourescent lights? Has anyone ever had this problem? Please help me out. thanks.

koliveira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Atascadero CA
www.undertheamazon.com
balton777;773871; said:
Give him some sunglasses? :ROFL: j/k....

Seriously though, never had that problem. Is the tank in a dark room?
balton777 has a legit question. If the room is very dark try turning on the lights in the room first. If this still does not help maybe get a moon light to turn on a little before you turn on the regular lights. he should adjust in time. how long have you had him?

kory

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
i usually turn on the main room lights or a lamp before i turn on tank lights unless it is a tank close to the window.

remember fish have no eyelids to close when bright light is in their eyes.

jusmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2006
Honolulu HI
yeah my room is somewah dark during the day but not pitch black. I dont have any plants so i dont turn the light on during the day while im gone. do you guys no of any good moonlight kits. i already tried the diy cathode tubes but they burnt up not too long after i set them up. i dont wany to go through that again. people here in hawai have recommonded digikits. have you guys ever heard of this store. they sell led kits on ebay.

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
is it because the light flickers when it turns on if so then the starter is probably old

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
jusmad;773777; said:
How can I prevent my GT from freaking out and banging against the glass whenever I turn on the tank lights? Would lunar lights help since they are dimmer than the regular flourescent lights? Has anyone ever had this problem? Please help me out. thanks.

dont turn them off !!!! ( completely)

i like to run nitelights !! turn on a low wattage night light before turning off the main lights.....ime this helps a lot :)

jusmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2006
Honolulu HI
shoots...well thanks for the info. my GT in my 180 decide he wanted a better life and the dummy jumped out of my tank through the hole in the cover for the filter. I found him today when i got home. I guess it was flopping on the ground for some time so my cousin put it in his ten gallon tank. Its still alive but its all messed up and its eyes seem really dry and cloudy. Is there anything we can do to revive this fish. At least I still have my nice GT in my upstairs tank. Let me know if there is anything i can do to save the GT that jumped. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store