What can you stock in a outdoor pond in Ohio?

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Know before everyone jumps in and says koi STOP lol I know that but what else is there? (Ill do a small kio pond later) I ask b/c I am looking at a house this week that Has a pond in the back (about 15x30 tops) and I guess if its there why not use it (if I buy it)

So what can u put in a outdoor pond 9(may not get good filtration either (COST)

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
There are lots of other things. Crayfish, bluegill or crappies make great pets, feeder goldfish (after quarantine), rosies, shubunkins, minnows, catfish or bullheads. Perch and bass will not live. It won't be cold enough for them.

andy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Norfolk, NE
chesterfieldzoo;1805105; said:
There are lots of other things. Crayfish, bluegill or crappies make great pets, feeder goldfish (after quarantine), rosies, shubunkins, minnows, catfish or bullheads. Perch and bass will not live. It won't be cold enough for them.

yellow perch and lmb will be fine. we have lakes called sandhill lakes here in nebraska and a lot of them are under 10 foot deep some of them no deeper than 7 ft and yellow perch and lmb have no problem living in them in fact a lot of those lakes have some of he largest ones caught here in nebraska. and those ponds can get to 90 degrees here in the summer

other wise maybe high finned bannded sharks could work, ummm bowfin, short, spotted and long nose gar, shovelnose sturgen(another high oxygen demanded fish) if you could get a good population of micro organisms in there a solitary paddlefish, american eels. most minnows like fat heads, perches and bass you have to make sure there will be plenty of surface agitation on the pond as they demand a high oxygen demand

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
I was assuming that the pond was 3 feet deep or less. I have had ponds for 30 years and have tried a lot of different fish in different ponds. I have only had the experience of local perch and bass and they are not acclimated to shallow, warmer ponds. Also there was a cost issue mentioned and aeration systems are not cheap.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Natives......

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
water is a good start ;) gold fish natives plants etc...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store