What causes this?

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
I was looking at a package of hikari cichlid staple and noticed the green terror on it.

uploadfromtaptalk1399673227790.jpg

My question is what is the root cause of the Orange coloration? Is it solely genetics, or is it water condition and diet? If the diet is a big factor, what type of diet does it?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
its photo chopped. Buy and your fish look like this.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
What orange are you talking about? If you mean the edges of the fins, they look like that or better sometimes but the face is usually gray. Either photoshop or bad pic and weird lighting on the head

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
What orange are you talking about? If you mean the edges of the fins, they look like that or better sometimes but the face is usually gray. Either photoshop or bad pic and weird lighting on the head
I was referring to the head. I know the Orange in their tails and fins is normal.

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
I was referring to the head. I know the Orange in their tails and fins is normal.

I thinking thats just lighting since it already has a little reddish hue on purple grey skin and yeah the fins are normal for a gold saum a closely related species to the green terror(rivulatus)

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
I thinking thats just lighting since it already has a little reddish hue on purple grey skin and yeah the fins are normal for a gold saum a closely related species to the green terror(rivulatus)

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I know it's a gold saum. I just picked up three gold saums but still refer to them as terrors. Its an old bad habit of mine that I can't seem to break.

But I have seen a few saums, both white and gold, that did have a slight yellow to them right behind the eyes.

And speaking of white saums. Has any one ever seen a gold/white saum. Where the dorsal fin is half Orange tipped and half white tipped, then the tail is a white tip?
I know he is still small, but this guy has that odd color combo.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me edit in a picture on the app. But here is the fish referee to in above post.

uploadfromtaptalk1399754115636.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store