What do you feed your Andinoacara?

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Title says it all. I'm going to be buying a few Andinoacara Biseratus from Jeff in a month or two and I want to gather some information on what I should feed them. It seems that most fish from the Andinoacara genus have the same type of diet. I know im going to feed Threa A by New Life Spectrum but for the other foods I have to gather info for.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I did a little research on what was found in the stomach contents in any of the Andinoacara studied, although there wasn't any specific info I could find in biseriatus, although it was generally considered omnivorous, there was some data on latifrons.
The stomach held mostly veggie matter, followed by fish remains, then detritus, and a small amount of insect remains.
To me this indicates any well made pellet should do, although if it were me, I'd go with one with a high spirulina content, to mimic the high amount of veggie mater found in the studied individuals.

Reactions: TigerTalon1

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
A carnivorous diet consisting of high protein foods like blood worms, cichlid pellets, mysis shrimp,krill etc. That’s what I feed my Rivulatus at least. I’m not very familiar with that specific species.

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
I did a little research on what was found in the stomach contents in any of the Andinoacara studied, although there wasn't any specific info I could find in biseriatus, although it was generally considered omnivorous, there was some data on latifrons.
The stomach held mostly veggie matter, followed by fish remains, then detritus, and a small amount of insect remains.
To me this indicates any well made pellet should do, although if it were me, I'd go with one with a high spirulina content, to mimic the high amount of veggie mater found in the studied individuals.
Did you study a Rivulatus? I’m curious what was common in their stomach contents.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Thats good to know ill have to look around.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I've never had any luck getting my Rivulatus to eat any live foods. So far have tried crickets and earthworms. Mainly give them Omega One pellets. Sometimes they will eat the frozen brine shrimp i feed the fry.

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Ive found NLS Algae Max which seems to be very high in algae. If I were to make a homemade food what would be a good ingredient list?

Edit: It seems like NLS algae max and NLS Cichlid are a really good mix but making my own food seems like a good idea

Last edited:

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
A carnivorous diet consisting of high protein foods like blood worms, cichlid pellets, mysis shrimp,krill etc. That’s what I feed my Rivulatus at least. I’m not very familiar with that specific species.
A high protein diet is not actually good for a lot of cichlids so when someone asks a question about a particular species than try and be specific to that species. If you don’t know about the species than don’t comment.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Ive found NLS Algae Max which seems to be very high in algae. If I were to make a homemade food what would be a good ingredient list?

Edit: It seems like NLS algae max and NLS Cichlid are a really good mix but making my own food seems like a good idea
You definitely can’t go wrong with NLS.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
My biseriatus did fine on prepared foods. I feed a small micropellet as a staple as well as a spirulina flake, and occasionally they'd get frozen bloodworms or freeze-dried blackworms. Like most Andinoacara they are not very picky about food.

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store