What do you feed your Fire Eel?

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
I got a new fire eel about a week ago and I haven't seen him eat anything yet! He's about 10 inches long, I've tried massivore pellets, the small sized hikari cichlid gold pellets, FD Krill, small feeders and even pleco discs!

I've never owned this species of fish before, or any of the similar species like tire track, so I'm not really sure what to do here.

So what do you all feed your fire or tire track eels? Don't wanna see this poor bastard starve himself to death.

Here he is:

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
proubly not going to eat pellets try krill later they like that some times but it won't eat pleco discs for sure

try
BLOODWORMS for sure i got mine to eat them out of my hand
red worms or red wigglers
night crawlers when its older
BLACKWORMS if you can find them thats what they eat in the wild alot
small fish try not to feed live fish try fish fillets or chunks of fish NOTE: there mouths aren't to big so make sure there small
shrimp they like ghost shrimp as a treat but cut shrimp from the store works sometimes
and crustations when there older try crayfish or little shrimps don't give them big crayfish or ones with hard shells unless small they can hurt you eel but when crayfish molt and become soft there eazy and tastey targets

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Mine eats krill and bloodworms, and neighbor kids

Reactions: jimster125

azfishfool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Arizona
at that size should be able to eat pieces of nightcrawlers, my tire track does wish i could find smaller but all thats available in my area

Havoc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2007
Colorado
At that size I fed mine ghost shrimp - but try and avoid aquatic live feeders because like mine, they can make your eel really sick. Once your eel gets sick on a type of food it will usually stop eating that food item. If I were you I'd go to Walmart and buy red wigglers and cut them into bite-sized pieces. I've fed my eel worms for years and they're great feeders.

Good luck getting it to eat. Nice choice in fish!

jah29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
pa, usa
feed it frozen bloodworms.. mine didnt appear to eat for the first month i had him.. but i would just put a cube of blood worms in front of him or in his cave every night and just leave it there for him, even if he didnt appear to eat it... what i have noticed with this species is that there very shy when stressed.. since you just added him to the tank he is probably still adjusting.. so just make sure there is food in the take for him each night in case he does decide to eat.. which most likely he is.. the first time i actually saw my fire eel active and eating, was about at 4am in complete darkness.. and he was swimming all over the tank, coming all the way up to the surface and everything.. now my fire eel is well adjusted, and is not shy at all durring feeding time..

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Mine only eats bloodworms. I've tried krill, brine shrimp cubes, and other frozen cubes, and he just ignores them. Mine's about 20".

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Bloodworms, live blackworms, chopped up nightcrawlers.
At night only.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
Mine has eaten krill feeders mainly on krill bloodworms n brine shrimp same sz as yours won't go for the pellets but I haven't really tried to get him on or mealworms

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store