What do you HATE that everybody else seems to LOVE in the hobby?

5SH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2012
West Coast
I don't hate anything in the hobby that others may love in terms of species but there are somethings that I never quite understood

1. African Cichlid tanks bore the heck out of me, the fishes have no personality. I am cool with front's though, but I was never too into them.

2. I really do not like to see goldfish in anything less than a 55 gallon, yet that is where most of them end up living and dieing in.

3. I never understood the fascination with peacock bass. They do not have much of personality and have pretty bland behavior besides nipping each other. I suppose they do have that freak wow factor when you have a school of them which are 16"+ though.

4. Why are Discus so expensive even though they are tank bred? Why are any fish that are tank bred expensive, anyway? I can understand wild caught specimens because of rarity and seasons but there is no reason for tank bred fish to be so expensive as they can be with discus. Stingrays should not be fetching such insane prices...

5. I do not like DIY stands that look unpresentable. They get the job done but it is quite unsightly...

6. I hate airpumps I find them loud, unnatural, and useless except for certain situations and for a sponge filter.

7. I hate loud sump systems. period.

8. I do not understand the fascination with plecos. I find them unnattractive and boring.

9. Flowerhorns with huge KOKs. A bit of a hump looks cool but when it looks like a baseball, no.

will continue later.

JanC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Belgium
I hate planted tanks.
I hate tanks with kids decoration in it.
I hate tanks that are not decorated at all (meaning no sand, no wood, no stones)
I hate tanks with gravel.

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Barebottom tanks, siblings who try to catch the fish in your tank, people who shoot air guns into a tank to get the fish "moving". And also people with a thousand neon tetras to one tank and one other fish and then calling it a "community tank"
Some people are just dumb

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Male Flowerhorns. look like Neanderthal Men, In Drag.

The thought of overcrowding my tanks "to diminish aggression"= claustrophobia.

Clams with bubbles.

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
How about things I Just simply hate about the hobby -

1. Bumping your cold beer off the top of the tank during a water change and watching it fall / spill into the water of a almost finished water change... Double fail!!

2. When Neighbors stair at you while your peacock bass fishing in your 500gal out in the garage...

3. store bought tank dividers.....Come on, does it really have to be that hard and still not work right??? Make your own!

4. Breeding box nets that suction to the side of the tank... I've lost so many fry from other fish "sucking" the fry right through the bottom of those dumb things!! Might as well call it a feeding box!!

5. When you feel it's "safe" to add a slightly smaller fish into the group...Only to find later, its tail hanging out of the mouth of another..

6. Petsmart's ich infested feeders, selection of fish, the fact they sell fish that get huge to people that have a ten gallon tank in their cart and don't have a clue and their wonderful "fish experts" working in the fish department...

7. When the feeders bite back & end up jacking your fish..

8. when starting a siphon during a water change and getting a mouthful of fish turds!

9. When the hose falls out of your tank during a water change, and of course it's always when you step away for a minute...

10. LFS that sell all the same crap as Petsmart & petco...Really??? Come on...

11. When fish die with no sign as to why...

12. People who keep huge fish in small tanks

13. When fish freak out for no reason and slam into the top or glass and jack themselves up.

14. ICH

15. Water all over the floor

16. When you order a temensis peacock bass online through a well known vender and monos arrive.. again fish suppliers that don't have a clue..

17. Standard fish tank TOPS & Lights for smaller aquariums.... Hate them! They are always falling in the dame water when you go to lift it up to grab something inside or at the bottom... And the whole reason why your lifting the whole top up is because the flip lid they provide is always too small. So you lift the top up from the fount and the back end drops into the water, usually sinking into the tank getting the light fixture wet...Shocking..

18. Cleaning FX5's

19. Small catfish

20. Gold fish

21. When the power goes out...

22. Hate tanks with store bought backgrounds... Lame!!

23. when a pair lays eggs and the dame pleco wipes them out before you have a chance to take one or the other out..

24. LFS that sell peacock bass - and doesn't have a clue to what species it is...

25. Forum TROLLS

26. Popping the dame breaker because the electrical in the house sucks and you have a dozen fish tanks running...

27. Running out of hot water during water changes and having to wait for it to heat up again!

28. LFS Personnel and owners that don't know crap or try to feed you full of crap.. and myself knowing typically more about what their selling... then they do!! and their selling it for a living and suppose to be the pros!!

29. Fake coral, rocks, wood and the lame lil figurines that you run a air pump to.. i.e fake clam, mermaid etc..

30. when the power goes out while you’re out and your overflow / sump spills all over the carpet..

There’s many more but I’m out of time -

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store