What do you think of this stocking long term?

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Awesome ill try to put together a list tonight but im excited for this. but i dont want to get ahead of myself either. I want to do this with a plan in mind and not just snatching up every pretty fish i see at the LFS or online like i have done in the past.

Reactions: clm08k

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You could get a Dat that is already larger if you want to go the Dat route....
But I think Synspilum are gorgeous. You could always ask around the cichlid subsection for more suggestions.

I know zero things about P-bass, sorry. (Other than that they need big tanks)

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Also do you guys have any suggestions for dithers? ive been thinking tiger stripe silver dollars or some sort of silver dollars. What do you guys think?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
SD’s will be a good mid level fish spread out aggression or to distract with.

Reactions: DRteugelsi

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I love the striped SDs. Just be sure you don't want many plants. :)

Something else to think about that's on my list is a pike characin if you like gars. They are smaller and I think the boulengerella maculata (spotted ones, there are also striped ones) are really beautiful. You can find TR ones which might be easier to get onto non-live foods.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice to see you gettimg back into the game.

I hate sds... lol they eat like machines. Syns are great and get big. I wouldnt do a group tho depending on what your long term goals are. If low maintenance low bioload is important then get 1. Argentea are probably the prettiest looking fish imo. They can get nasty tho. Mine was by far the meanest fish i ever had. Some members reported their argentea beat down dovii's. Even tho if hulk ever passes my next cichlid maybe an argentea.

I know a 300 sounds big but now when i look at mine it doesnt look big at all. Especially when these fish put on some size.

Is the 300 going to be glass or acrylic? If glass then a cool carnivorous pleco like L600 would be cool. I like the congi and vulture btw

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Ive been doing some research and i think my best bet would be to go with 1-2 congis, 2 teugs, still deciding on dithers, 2 catfish (lima, vulture, granulos, etc.), I still havent decided but i think a group of kelberis would be nice after talking to the peacock bass guys. That is still up for debate as i think that a group of kelberis would be a pretty heavy on a tank of that size. but I really love the idea of having a group of large fish with good personality

As for the catfish, lima are cheap and grow to decent size but i fear for the polys with their fast growth, vulture cats are nice but hard to find, same with granulos.

may add more polys to the list as time goes by. as i do love me some polys lol

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I personally would do different types if you want multiple polys - there are so many different ones out there and it would give visual interest which I think is important when you go with larger fish since you won't have as many. So a Congi, Teug, then 2 other species. :) Just my personal opinion.

So if you did the pbass group that eliminates the cichlid right? Due to bioload, esp. with a group of larger polys...

The vulture cats are so gorgeous.

Reactions: jaws7777

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Yeah i just figured it would look more uniform if i kept a group of the two polys. I am leaning towards a vulture as well.

Nice to see you gettimg back into the game.

I hate sds... lol they eat like machines. Syns are great and get big. I wouldnt do a group tho depending on what your long term goals are. If low maintenance low bioload is important then get 1. Argentea are probably the prettiest looking fish imo. They can get nasty tho. Mine was by far the meanest fish i ever had. Some members reported their argentea beat down dovii's. Even tho if hulk ever passes my next cichlid maybe an argentea.

I know a 300 sounds big but now when i look at mine it doesnt look big at all. Especially when these fish put on some size.

Is the 300 going to be glass or acrylic? If glass then a cool carnivorous pleco like L600 would be cool. I like the congi and vulture btw

I'm going with glass because i am cheap haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store