What do you think???

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
electric enigma;4660676; said:
arowana is a fish that is not suitable for beginners. The fish need at least a 150 gallons tank to adequately keep them. they also require an excellent filter such as an external canister filter. they're also an excellent jumper, so you need a tight fitting aquarium hood with no escape hole to keep them.

these fish are really aggressive so you should not put 2 arowanas in one tank. however, keeping them in group of 6-10 are good(but you might need a super large tank for that) as the aggressiveness tend to be subdued.

Thanks for your advice, but I stopped being a begginer a long long time ago.
I am however new to mixing Arowana.

And 150gallons minimum is waay too small, and a canister filter is no good with larger fish IMHO.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
electric enigma;4660676; said:
arowana is a fish that is not suitable for beginners. The fish need at least a 150 gallons tank to adequately keep them. they also require an excellent filter such as an external canister filter. they're also an excellent jumper, so you need a tight fitting aquarium hood with no escape hole to keep them.

these fish are really aggressive so you should not put 2 arowanas in one tank. however, keeping them in group of 6-10 are good(but you might need a super large tank for that) as the aggressiveness tend to be subdued.
150 gallons? :duh: maybe for a short time while the aro is still small. Gonna need a lot more then a 150g to house an adult silver or black arowana. Maybe you should refrane from giving advice or at least do a little better job of reading. You do understand that the OP has a 300g, don't you?

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
A little update.

I recieved the Arowana (as well as a whopper of a Bichir!) and it is has been in with the Silver over night.

The Black was quite a bit bigger than I was told which I think is a good thing.
It didn't arrive in the best of condition, the lower lip looked like it has been bashing into stuff, and the barbels seem a little short, but hopefully some TLC may help these things.

As for aggression, there has been a little, by the much much smaller Silver.
It is attempting to bite the Black every now and then, but can't seem to get a good grip (if that makes any sense?) it isn't marking the Black at all, but I guess it may be annoying it.

Hopefully this will die down when the Silver realizes it isn't doing anything.

Thanks all for your opinions on mixing, it was all noted.
Here is a little pic (excuse the messy water, pic was taken only 10 minutes after introduction, and what a messy introduction it was too!)

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
They look stunning together mate, hope it goes well with them.

Can i ask while here, would it be better to get 2 different type of aro together when they are young so they can get used to each outher, only asking as i have a juvenial silver and am getting rid of a tsnxrtc ( 3 inch long) i have and would like another aro to go with my rays.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Looks good, I was under the impression that the blacks was longer then the silver.

Good luck hope this goes well.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Bderick67;4664967; said:
Looks good, I was under the impression that the blacks was longer then the silver.

Good luck hope this goes well.
Yes mate.
The black is the larger one in the photo.
The silver is the smaller one.
The black was a lot bigger than they told me it was.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
tokyogasmask;4665279; said:
Yes mate.
The black is the larger one in the photo.
The silver is the smaller one.
The black was a lot bigger than they told me it was.
Guess it would help to look at the photo :D
Actually I first glanced at it on my iphone, assumed the larger lighter colored was the silver.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Bderick67;4665530; said:
Guess it would help to look at the photo :D
Actually I first glanced at it on my iphone, assumed the larger lighter colored was the silver.
No worries.
You have some blacks right?
What do these guys max out at?
I know it wont get to the size my Silver will grow to, but are we talking 26" ish?

Also, the barbels on my black are quite small and curled downwards a little. Will this change now with proper care?
I have a feeling the previous owner had this guy in a pretty cramped tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store