What else can I try as tank mates?

BettaXD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2021
I have a betta fish that killed 3 of the 6 ember tetras that I have. I bought 3 more and moved the remaining 3 and the 3 that I bought into a new tank. I am wondering if I could try any other types of fish or snail as tank mates.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Hi!

I personally don't recommend keeping Siamese fighting fish with small schooling fish (like tetras). Regardless of the size of the tank, they are easy targets for aggression and bullying because of that small size.

With that being said, what is the size of your tank? That will be a big factor in determining tankmates, with larger tanks allowing for more variety.

As an example,, I've got a Siamese fighting fish in a 473 liter (183 cm long) with 6 pictus catfish and 6 clown loaches (listed in my signature). You can read about it here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rescue-siamese-fighting-fish-thread.743397/

The pictus catfish in particular are not typical tankmates of fighting fish, since they have the potential to either eat the fighting fish or tear apart their fins (as rightfully pointed out by Fishman Dave in the link). Clown loaches are also not typical tank mates of fighting fish, since they have sometimes been reported to pick on them when kept together (possibly because fighting fish are slow swimmers).

However, I have had no compatibility issues with any of these whatsoever just yet. I believe the size of the tank is key to this, since Lelouch (the fighting fish) has sufficient space at all times to get away from the pictus and clown loaches should he wish to.

So as a tl:dr, I would say that you should stay away from smaller fish, but the larger the tank the larger and more unconventional the tankmates can be becuase of the more space.

Good luck.

Reactions: Friller2009

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I have a betta fish that killed 3 of the 6 ember tetras that I have. I bought 3 more and moved the remaining 3 and the 3 that I bought into a new tank. I am wondering if I could try any other types of fish or snail as tank mates.
What size is the tank. It needs to be large enough that the betta can have its territory and not have to be constantly defending it. I’ve found Corydoras catfish to work great with bettas.

Reactions: tlindsey

harman bainz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2021
how big is your tank?

BettaXD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hi!

I personally don't recommend keeping Siamese fighting fish with small schooling fish (like tetras). Regardless of the size of the tank, they are easy targets for aggression and bullying because of that small size.

With that being said, what is the size of your tank? That will be a big factor in determining tankmates, with larger tanks allowing for more variety.

As an example,, I've got a Siamese fighting fish in a 473 liter (183 cm long) with 6 pictus catfish and 6 clown loaches (listed in my signature). You can read about it here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rescue-siamese-fighting-fish-thread.743397/

The pictus catfish in particular are not typical tankmates of fighting fish, since they have the potential to either eat the fighting fish or tear apart their fins (as rightfully pointed out by Fishman Dave in the link). Clown loaches are also not typical tank mates of fighting fish, since they have sometimes been reported to pick on them when kept together (possibly because fighting fish are slow swimmers).

However, I have had no compatibility issues with any of these whatsoever just yet. I believe the size of the tank is key to this, since Lelouch (the fighting fish) has sufficient space at all times to get away from the pictus and clown loaches should he wish to.

So as a tl:dr, I would say that you should stay away from smaller fish, but the larger the tank the larger and more unconventional the tankmates can be becuase of the more space.

Good luck.
What size is the tank. It needs to be large enough that the betta can have its territory and not have to be constantly defending it. I’ve found Corydoras catfish to work great with bettas.
how big is your tank?
My tank is 10 gallons. The previous betta in that tank did well with the ember tetras.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
My tank is 10 gallons. The previous betta in that tank did well with the ember tetras.
A school of 6 Corydoras would work well and as a bonus, you might get some baby Corydoras.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Agree with the cories, danios also may work better than the tetras for dithers, they are larger and faster than embers.

Reactions: Friller2009
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store