What else could i add to my CA/African tank?

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
Currently i have this stocking

48"x19"x26" / 100 USG / 85 impg / 380 litre

1 x Adult EBJD (he rules the tank, not delicate at all)
1 x pink convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)
2 x Blood Parrot (Amphilophus citrinellus Hybrid)
4 x Electric Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus)
1 x Aulonocara Sp. Dragon Blood firefish
2 x Electric Blue Hap (Sciaenochromis fryeri)
1 x Sleeper Hap (Nimbochromis livingstonii)
2 x Striped Raphael Catfish (Platydoras costatus)

What else could i add?

I was thinking...

2 x Yellow Labs
1 x Venustus
1 x Red Liffali Jewel
2 x Female Electric Blue Hap females (currently have 1xm,1xf)
2 x Golden Bristlenose Plecs

I'm going for colourful and fish of similar needs (ie no herbivours) also although Zebras and a Demasoni are tempting, i think they would destroy my Parrots and Convict (i have them in for colour and because i have no room for them in my 180g)

Please don't bomb the thread with reasons why CA's and Africans shouldn't be together, i have done it for years without problems, I'm just selective, i pick fish that are not to agressive and share the same needs.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
You should not keep africans with ca/sa fish.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Me either until my tank turned into a war zone. Never again.

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
Kanta;4736509; said:
Me either until my tank turned into a war zone. Never again.
Well 4 years on and no war zone, I have grown out Severums, Flowerhorns and a Jag plus loads of others in here without problem, i just move them to the bigger tank when they are big enough.

You probably kept incompatiable sepecies like Zebras, Demasoni, Auratus, Crabro etc....my pick is very selective (gentle fish)

Also i requested in the first post that this not be brought up to debate, could you keep it on topic please.

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
I like the Blue Hap and Venustus. Nice colors on the males with a decent size to them.

There shouldn't be any problems with the aggression in the Blue Hap. The Venustus can show conspecific aggression to other males.

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
So a Livingstonii and Venustus mix could be a problem?

Also on the Blue Haps, how many females to male ratio? its currently 1/1 although i would like some more males because they look so nice :)

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
HybridGS;4736536; said:
So a Livingstonii and Venustus mix could be a problem?

Also on the Blue Haps, how many females to male ratio? its currently 1/1 although i would like some more males because they look so nice :)
If you don't want an over aggravated female then 3 or 4 on the Blue Haps. Your Haps could get aggressive if they plan on spawning. I would only get a male Blue.

Livingstonii and Venustus shouldn't be a problem if you have enough square footage and other africans to keep their attention. From my experience with the Livingstonii and Venustus, they are more inquisitive than bully, which usually leads them into other fishes territories where the other fish will be a little more aggressive towards them.

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
tunerX;4736551; said:
If you don't want an over aggravated female then 3 or 4 on the Blue Haps. Your Haps could get aggressive if they plan on spawning. I would only get a male Blue.

Livingstonii and Venustus shouldn't be a problem if you have enough square footage and other africans to keep their attention. From my experience with the Livingstonii and Venustus, they are more inquisitive than bully, which usually leads them into other fishes territories where the other fish will be a little more aggressive towards them.
Thanks for the info :)

I currently have 1 male 1 female, so probably best to keep it as that then? i dont really want 3-4 females because they are so drab in comparison.

Brian_Indiana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
Muncie, IN
As you requested, I will not blast you about keeping SA and Africans together.....

If you want color, try some Victorian. Zebra Obliquidens, Astatotilipia sp 44, and Christmas Fulu are nice looking fish. They can be pretty mean.

I have several Ahli's that are not aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store