What Fish for African Tank?

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello everyone... may be getting a new tank soon - probably 35 - 40 gallons and I'm thinking African.
I want to move my Distichodus Sexfaciatus (around 7") and 2 Synodontis Eupterus (4-5" each), and possibly my big congo tetras (3").
Got some cool rock to go in there for caves, but what substrate and decor would you suggest?
What else would go with them - I'm trying to avoid the Rift Lake Cichlid route at the moment.

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
one word ! BICHIR. awsome predatory fish that will probably be fine in there. trust me you wont be dissapointed! also id add a african B-fly to the top.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
one word ! BICHIR. awsome predatory fish that will probably be fine in there. trust me you wont be dissapointed! also id add a african B-fly to the top.
I agree with grmanrocks. I have an african tank with bichers, abf and ctenpoma. Lots of driftwood and lots of anubias.

Also good choice in avoiding the Rift Lake Cichlid route :character0063:

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My friend's thinking of an African (non-cichlid) tank as well. How about, Butterfly fish, Brown Knife, and Leopard fish? That's what he was hwas thinking along with some Congo Tetras or Red-Eyed Tetras.

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm just kinda guessing at the size of the tank - it might be a bit bigger than that!
Lookin after my sisters fish and now I think she wants me to take her tank as well - so I got a freebie.
Some interesting suggestions.... trouble is, some of those fish are hard to find, although my lfs had Butterfly fish in for a while - so they might make it in.
Get back to you all with size of tank soon - need 2 go visit her house with a measuring tape...

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Anyone know if I could keep Elephant Nose with my Distichodus? And btw, UK gallons are bigger than US, so 35 UKG is prob. about 40 USG.

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
a bichir and a b-fly or 2 would be fine in a 40 gallon, id stay awway from the elephant nose if u get the bichir i had a total fish keeping horror scene when i mixed the two.

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Bichir sounds interesting, but I don't know if I have the experience to keep one.... btw, how do you pronounce "bichir"..?!
1 x African butterfly fish, 2 x Synodontis Eupterus, 1 x Distichodus Sexfaciatus and a Congo Tetra shoal.... that should do.
Don't want anything too big at the moment. Open to 1 more species suggestion...any takers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store