What fish should i put into a 500 gallon tank?

Cloudy1831

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2017
I could use some help. I was wandering what different types of fish I could put in a 500 gallon tank(100"×40"×30"). I really want some catfish, plecos, and koi for the wife. They would be going into a larger area once the get to big. But what other fish and types of catfish and plecos be good?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) Koi in a 500 gallon would look awesome I would suggest a cool water catfish specie such as bullhead or channel but beware channel catfish get huge.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As for different fish species your list will be short because of temperature requirements. Others will chime in with their own suggestions and experience.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
You could look into some of the more peaceful south American cichlids to increase your options unless she is dead set on koi specifically

Reactions: FishBeast

Cloudy1831

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2017
She is dead set on koi that's one of her favorite fish. For plecos could I go with like the green phantom with channel cats?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The channel cat will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. So I think the phantom pleco isn't a good idea. Maybe a different catfish species that doesnt get so large would be a better idea then maybe you could keep the pleco species you like.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
I could use some help. I was wandering what different types of fish I could put in a 500 gallon tank(100"×40"×30"). I really want some catfish, plecos, and koi for the wife. They would be going into a larger area once the get to big. But what other fish and types of catfish and plecos be good?
If she is dead set on Koi, you should look into some dojo loaches. They are very active and entertaining especially in groups and would be able to get to their 10-12" easily in a tank that size. They also appreciate the cooler water that you'll be keeping the koi in. Did you buy the tank or build it?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Many cichlid species can be kept with koi,I recommend electric blue cichlids,oscars,jack Dempsey,red tilapia.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
If you're just growing them out channel cats are adorable when small in the tank and look good in a pond later however....unless you go with albino catfish they'll pretty much turn invisible once you put them in your pond. If you have a really big pond albino channel cats make a great monster addition to a koi pond. Pleco's need heat.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store