What genus and species am I? Phalacronotus?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I was brought in from Thailand but my prior fishtizenship and collection locale are shrouded in an intractable mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside a chest full of golden fish sculls and bones, buried on an unknown island, inhabited by ruthless cannibals and predatory lemurs and koalas...

I was brought in as the "dinema catfish", apparently in reference to the fearsome toothy Belodontichthys dinema, to create some kind of a stir in the big great distant USA... but I opine it's a ruse, a good old switcheroo, and I don't think I am.

Me and my 4 kin are 3"-5" currently. Very young and largely big-eyed and clueless. We used to like shrimp at the Predatory Fins shop in Boca Raton, Florida, USA, where we spent many months and almost no one wanted us; we grew from 2" to our current size at the shop. Now our new feeder, a big, hairy, ape-looking thing crossed with a giant insect, offers us something he calls NLS generic pellets and cut silversides and glass minnows soaked in VitaChem and we seem to prefer to take the pellets, mouth them, and spit most out, swallow with some disgust the rest, and less so interested in the fish pieces, which obviously confuses our fish-challenged keeper...

We had been priced at a dignified $70 each but all 5 were let go at the rather dishonorable $45 each, which hurts but we are learning to live with it...

(Sister PCF thread: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332082#p332082)

100_0035.JPG100_0036.JPG100_0037.JPG100_0038.JPG100_0039.JPG100_0041.JPG100_0042.JPG100_0043.JPG100_0044.JPG

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Bleekeri have short maxillary barbels does not extend beyond jaws. Micronema however extends to the eyes.
Slightly confusing statement as Bleekeri is Micronema.
Are you meaning “Bleekeri have short maxillary barbles that do not extend beyond the jaws but apogon extends to the eyes” ?
And if so, at such a small size which would you suggest it is?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Slightly confusing statement as Bleekeri is Micronema.
Are you meaning “Bleekeri have short maxillary barbles that do not extend beyond the jaws but apogon extends to the eyes” ?
And if so, at such a small size which would you suggest it is?
Sorry, it's micronemus. Micronema are the other genus. I had to zoom in on the head to see the barbels. Don't think they outgrew their barbels as they get larger so with that long barbels, I'd say micronemus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store