what happened to my zebra nerite?

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
this snail was partly closed up last night sitting in the bottom of the tank...
just saw this spot on its foot. was something nibbling on it?
it is in a 20 long community tank, plenty of plants, guppies, rasbora and dwarf cory cats. there are other snails in there, mts, tiny ramhorns, and just pest snails that hitched a ride on plants long ago. ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate about 60 ppm. water changes every week. 20190909_210632.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
To start with i would forst of increase wc and get your nitrate down to under at least 20ppm.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I agree with Tobias. Get those nitrates down. The other thing is I’d remove the snail. Not sure what it is but if it’s sick better to remove it. Easier to replace than treat or leave behind. Snails have their own diseases as well and medicines to use aren’t clear.

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
Nitrates are not toxic to fish until like 500 ppm or some huge number. My brother and I have kept fish for decades and have never seen an issue with nitrate levels at such a low level <80 ppm. Most of the veteran fish hobbyists I know don't really sweat too much over nitrates even in marine tanks as long as it isn't causing any algae problems. If you are saying nitrate is toxic to snails? I have not heard of this but maybe you can link me to an article about it.
I guess I need to get rid of this snail. I keep nerite snails in all of my tanks so moving it to another tank is not going to work if you think it has a disease. This is the first time I have had cory cats and so I had wondered if anyone had thought the snail was being nibbled.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well nitrate over 25ppm aint that good for fish longterm. I know of at least one oldtimer on the forum that keeps his nitrate under 5ppm. Myself i aim for keeping my nitrate under 20ppm preferably around 10ppm. But then again im keeping rays.

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store