What happens if my dog drinks an energy drink?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The LD50 - the dose at which half of all dogs will die - of caffeine in dogs is 140mg/kg. Take the dog's weight in kilograms, find the caffeine content of the energy drink, and you can compute roughly how likely your dog is to die no matter what is done. For humans, ~30% of the LD50 (3000mg+ - keep in mind that humans are much heavier than dogs) usually results in hospitalization.

Keep an eye on his temperature and if he develops a severe fever or convulses - especially if he convulses - take him to the vet immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
From a verterinary site:

Caffeine (coffee, tea) and caffeinated items (such as energy drinks) - similar to the toxic chemical theobromide found in chocolate, caffeine can damage the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system. A lethal dose is considered to be around 70 mg per 1 lb body weight (150 mg / kg body weight). As an example, instant coffee contains over 60 mg caffeine per teaspoon. So, the lethal dose of caffeine for a 15 lb (6.8 kg) dog would be 17 teaspoons of instant coffee. Stronger coffees such as Turkish coffee, percolated coffees, and energy drinks would take much less to become toxic for a dog.

Symptoms: hyperactivity, excitement, restlessness, and vomiting. These can be followed by panting, weakness, rapid heart rate, drunken walking, muscle tremors and convulsions.

Possible Outcomes: Damage to heart, lungs, kidney organs, heart attack, coma or death.

Action: Take your pet to a vet immediately if you suspect a toxic dose. The vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. Activated charcoal may be administered along with aggressive supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.

Read more at http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/134-toxic-foods-for-dogs-drinks-beans#uW8PfYIvLxTEJ5VH.99

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The artificial sweeteners can be toxic to dogs(can't remember which one). I would check ingredient list and monitor your dog.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store