What happens if you don't wash your substrate?

florencejr11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2015
Fresno
Blacked out my tank.. sides and back painted black. I bought black gravel as it says on the bag. But the problem rn is air bubbles. It's all along the substrate it comes up in balls gravel then floats to the top. I can easily pop them or whatever and the gravel falls back down. But overtime more come up. I started my filter and all that did was make the air bubbles cone faster. Pictures down below. No fish have been placed in the tank yet.

Haven't had gravel in years... but when I did all I did was a quick rinse whenever I did a water change then I would proceed to replace the old gravel. Did the same thing with this black gravel made by topfin. What should be next step? Just leave it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
when i had gravel substrate it trapped a huge amount of gunk
i need to buy a siphon from petco and give it another try

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
U should wash it good before u put it in. I would stirr the substrate good to get rid of the bubbles and what not and do a few water changes. U might have to recycle your tank again. On your previous thread, your fish died after u changed things in the tank. Pretty sure it was from the dirty substrate that u changed out.

Reactions: florencejr11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store